White smoke when revved

• DHshredder
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • My name's Greg and I like bikes.
More
19 Jun 2013 00:17 #592993 by DHshredder
White smoke when revved was created by DHshredder
I took my '82 KZ550 for a ride today, a fairly hard ride, and noticed that when I got back, turned it off then turned it on again to get it into the garage some white smoke would come out when it was revved. Not what I would call an alarming amount, but definitely enough to where I noticed it. I did not see any at idle. Does this sound like rings, valve stem seals? I don't really have the means to do a compression test at home but I'd like to be able to make an educated guess before I tear apart my engine. I should also say this is the first time i've actually noticed the smoke while revving it, although i'm told it's smoked on deceleration slightly by people following me before.

Thanks

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."

1982 KZ550 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DHshredder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2013 01:13 #593003 by DHshredder
Replied by DHshredder on topic White smoke when revved
I should also add that it only seems to really do it when hot, when the oil is much less viscous.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
19 Jun 2013 01:35 - 19 Jun 2013 01:36 #593008 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic White smoke when revved
Rings usually smoke when revving, also they will smoke more when you crank open the throttle and wind it up. Valve seals typically give some smoke at first start up then smoke less. Not really "rev dependent" like rings. You could also have both bad seals and loose rings giving both symptoms.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 19 Jun 2013 01:36 by bountyhunter.

• DHshredder
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2013 01:44 #593010 by DHshredder
Replied by DHshredder on topic White smoke when revved
Hm, that sounds like rings then....I let the engine cool and then started it up and saw no smoke at all, it only seems to do it when the engine is very hot. I also saw the smoke in direct sunlight, not sure if that made it more visible than normal...I think i'm going to try to get the equipment to do a compression test, then go from there.

1982 KZ550 LTD

More
20 Jun 2013 02:02 #593168 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic White smoke when revved
Think cheap .Just change the oil and filter ,,,,,
It sounds like you might have some moisture in the engine from sitting due to inactivity.
Look at that inside of your oil fill cap.
have any funky almost cream like stuff , even just 1 drop ?

1974 Z1a, still 903