Cam chain replacement

More
16 Jun 2013 06:11 #592506 by Azzers
Cam chain replacement was created by Azzers
Hi Chaps,

I am new to the forumn, I am building up a '81 KZ750 as a Cafe Racer. This is my first motorcycle project. :)

I have a question regarding the replacement of the cam chain.

I didnt intend to have to work on the engine at all, but after starting her up 'something' just didnt sound right. Long story short, its the cam chain that has streched over time and needs replacing.

I have the new chain and masterlink from DID. I got a 152 link chain, and my bike spec (according to partzilla.com) calls for a 150 link chain. So I know I wil have to take two links out of the new chain. I also know that you can buy a tool online but have been told that an angle grinder a punch and a steady hand will do just as well to get the pins out of the old and new chains.

My question is really about when fitting the masterlink to the new chain, how am I supposed to peen over the masterlink pins? Is there another tool that I have to buy, or can I use a small ball-peen hammer? Or any other bright ideas?

'81 KZ750-E1 Cafe Racer Project - Complete
'79 CB750 K Restoration Project - sold
'82 GL1100 Bobber project - WIP
2014 BMW GS 1200 LC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2013 09:17 - 16 Jun 2013 09:19 #592516 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cam chain replacement
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI don't recommend doing it the hard way. You may end up damaging the chain or not riveting the master link correctly. There are special tools for breaking chains and installing the rivets in the master links. Here is an example (there are others out there that may be better) of one that does both functions; just make sure whatever you buy matches your chain size. Keep in mind, after you use it you can always sell it on eBay to recover most of your investment. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 16 Jun 2013 09:19 by 650ed.

More
16 Jun 2013 11:48 #592528 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Cam chain replacement
Do the simple things first, have you adjusted the timing chain tensioner?

More
16 Jun 2013 12:36 - 16 Jun 2013 12:39 #592534 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cam chain replacement
Hello, Azzers, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

The FSM (Facrory Service Manual) includes measuring info and stretch tolerance specs for the cam chain.

Often, cam chain noise may be substantially reduced by a good tune-up, including vacuum sync of carbs.

Downloadable manual, if needed --
kz.bike-night.com/manual.html

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 16 Jun 2013 12:39 by Patton.

More
16 Jun 2013 12:50 #592537 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Cam chain replacement
Ed, he has the HyVo style cam chain and I don't think that tool will work.

The OP must have over 100k miles on that motor to wear out a HyVo style cam chain.

KD9JUR