Holy CRAP gas everywhere! A little help here guys!

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
14 Jun 2013 16:57 #592306 by Killman
Girlfriend told me she smelled gas before she headed out to work this morning. Taking the only keys to her Kz750 Ltd with mikuni carbs.
I walked into the garage to find that the bike had randomly started leaking a little gas out of the fuel line attachment to the petcock. The clamp is behind the petcock where I can't get at it. I snugged the fuel line as tight as I could and drained the overflows. Just a little gas came out then stopped, I wanted to drain it all out into a jerry can, but no dice.

But just now I smelled a LOT of gas, (attached garage) went out to find gas leaking out of the pod filters now, drained the overflows again. I'd just rip off the fuel line and use a longer spare line to drain, but I'm worried about gas pouring out.

Gonna wheel the bike out into the driveway. Worried about the fumes. Can't find the manual, (just moved into the house) WTF?

Help, pretty please?

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2013 17:07 #592308 by daveo
:huh: A temporary solution may be to clamp the fuel hose with a vice-grip to stop, or at least slow the gas flow.
NO SPARKS!!!

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
14 Jun 2013 17:13 #592309 by MFolks
If you're using gas with Ethanol(most are), it's nasty on any rubber part of motorcycle fuel systems. It will cause plastic fuel filters to fail, as the glue holding the filter element will be attacked, coating it with the adhesive, rendering the filter useless.

Ethanol can cause fuel lines to swell internally, reducing fuel flow,and will soften the rubber tipped float bowl needles. It will eat pinholes in the vacuum operated petcock(gas tank valve), and in CV carb diaphrams.

About all you can do is make the fuel systems parts made of rubber, "A Time Change Item", replacing the parts every so often.

I've read the Silicone fuel lines resist Ethanol the best, and other manufacturers are creating similar products.

Find if possible, Ethanol free gas stations for your bike.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2013 17:49 #592313 by Killman
Well between what I managed to get into the jerry can and what spilled onto the garage floor and driveway, I think that the gas is just about out of the bike :laugh:

Oh well, guess I'll spend the rest of the day finally unpacking the shop, so that I can actually lay hands on stuff, (like a manual and a fire extinguisher) and maybe even do some actual work on my bike finally.

I just about had a coronary hitting the button for the garage door opener though. The fumes were thick. Gonna have to figure out some ventilation in there besides just opening the door to the house and then the bedroom and kitchen windows. Pretty sure that could've been unpleasant if it had been leaking full bore while we were still asleep.

Her bike is givning me fits though. Won't start, can't get the pipes in the right order and now it decides to just randomly start leaking gasoline from everywhere. I think it might be haunted by one of my ex-girlfriends. :whistle:

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
14 Jun 2013 21:47 #592338 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Holy CRAP gas everywhere! A little help here guys!
I would also check the oil and cyclinders to insure no gas went into the crankcase or cyclinder.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2013 22:52 #592349 by Killman
Aw bloody hell, Powerstroke, I didn't even think of that. :S

Oh well, I was going to give it an oil change anyways.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
15 Jun 2013 07:32 #592393 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Holy CRAP gas everywhere! A little help here guys!
you could just perform a sniff test to see if theres gas in the oil with out changing it.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now