Exhaust Question

More
12 Jun 2013 11:34 #591924 by treitz
Exhaust Question was created by treitz
People have told me, I think even on this forum, that with big carb set-ups, you need big exhaust to compensate.

Well, I am running a single Mikuni VM34 roundslide carb on my KZ400. My mufflers are a set of stock Sportster mufflers.

I am afraid that they are too restricting and I need a more free flowing mufflers.

Here is my reasoning...

1) Even when my engine appears to be running lean, my plugs are still black. I know this could be a number of other tuning issues, which I am trying to solve, but I feel like the mufflers could be contributing.

2) My headers don't seat to my engine head perfectly. I know this because whoever had the bike before stripped the bolts on the head a bit so I can't get them completely tight. They are pretty tight but not perfect. Where my mufflers attach to my headers I didn't have a perfect seal either, so some exhaust was leaking. Finally last night I wrapped my headers with exhaust wrap which sealed any leaks where the mufflers meet the headers. But today, when I got to work, there was quite a bit of smoke/exhaust fumes escaping from where my headers meet the engine.

Since this is the first time this has happened, and all that changed from yesterday to today is the header wrap, is it safe to assume that my mufflers are creating too much back pressure and are forcing the exhaust out where the headers meet the engine?

Or do I have a bigger issue on my hands?

1979 KZ400 - 2-1 Manifold - Mikuni VM34

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2013 13:21 #591937 by rt green
Replied by rt green on topic Exhaust Question
fix the exhaust first. get em sealed up. get a good header. if you have to fix the exhaust studs and can;t' take it to someone who can. you cannot properly tune a bike with leaks like that. my 2 cents

More
12 Jun 2013 15:15 #591951 by CoolerKing

More
12 Jun 2013 16:32 #591972 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic Exhaust Question

CoolerKing wrote: www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...+stud&item=92004-049

Are you serious!? I thought for sure the studs were built into the motor. Didn't even think to check and see if they were removable.

Thanks guys.

More
12 Jun 2013 20:23 #592006 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic Exhaust Question
My worry level has dropped. I researched it and apparently it's normal for header wrap to smoke when you first install it. So I may not be leaking exhaust after all.