What kind of tool?

More
03 Jun 2013 15:12 #590669 by geohaydook1
What kind of tool? was created by geohaydook1
Looks like I need to replace the cylinder block on my 750e. I have a spare that came with the bike, but I don't know if the bores are within spec. What kind of tool do I need to measure them? This bike
is turning into a MUCH bigger project than I anticipated. But don't they always? :pinch:

1980 KZ750e
1981 KZ650 csr (fate undecided)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2013 15:24 #590672 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic What kind of tool?
It is called a snap gauge....looks like a letter "T" with rounded ends, one end is sprung so you can fit it into the cylinder and the handle then locks it into place, out it comes and you measure that. Sorry I don't have one to show a picture of (would have been so much easier)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
03 Jun 2013 15:27 #590673 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic What kind of tool?

geohaydook1 wrote: Looks like I need to replace the cylinder block on my 750e. I have a spare that came with the bike, but I don't know if the bores are within spec. What kind of tool do I need to measure them? This bike
is turning into a MUCH bigger project than I anticipated. But don't they always? :pinch:

Dial bore gauge, inside micrometer, or a snap gauge and an outside micrometer. The snap gauge and outside micrometer are the least expensive but require some 'feel' to use accurately. Practice, practice, practice and someone to teach you. Maybe just take the block to a reputable machine shop and have them measure it.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

More
03 Jun 2013 17:09 #590684 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic What kind of tool?

TomW wrote:

geohaydook1 wrote: Looks like I need to replace the cylinder block on my 750e. I have a spare that came with the bike, but I don't know if the bores are within spec. What kind of tool do I need to measure them? This bike

Dial bore gauge, inside micrometer, or a snap gauge and an outside micrometer. The snap gauge and outside micrometer are the least expensive but require some 'feel' to use accurately. Practice, practice, practice and someone to teach you. Maybe just take the block to a reputable machine shop and have them measure it.

Our local moto shop will measure it for you as well. Bring the pistons you want to use too and they will be able to tell you if they'll work.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

More
04 Jun 2013 00:08 #590756 by geohaydook1
Replied by geohaydook1 on topic What kind of tool?
Thanks, I think I'll try to find a good machine shop and let them do it.

1980 KZ750e
1981 KZ650 csr (fate undecided)