Clutch Adjustment Woes

More
30 May 2013 12:45 #589923 by freakinbike
Clutch Adjustment Woes was created by freakinbike
I just got a new chain cover and now my clutch won't adjust properly. I adjusted it as per the manual, and even with the center adjuster fully expanded as well as the clutch lever adjuster, there is still so much play that the clutch can not disengage.

Before I tried adjusting it, the lever was very stiff and would not disengage the clutch fully, hence why I went to adjust it.

1982 GPZ750, stock (for now..)
1973 VW Bus
Can life really get much better?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2013 13:36 #589933 by freakinbike
Replied by freakinbike on topic Clutch Adjustment Woes
Please disregard this post. See kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/589006-chain-cover-trouble instead.

1973 VW Bus

More
30 May 2013 13:43 #589934 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic Clutch Adjustment Woes
I had the same problem with my bike. It was a while back but I cant really remember what I did. When you say chain cover, do you mean sprocket cover? The one with the clutch adjuster? if so make sure that it is flush and not angled at all or the mechanism that pushes the clutch in won't push at a straight angle, then adjust the cable for slack, not the clutch. That mechanism the pushes the clutch out is for fine tuning. After you adjust for more slack with the adjuster on the cable then use the clutch mechanism. As for that super stiff feeling you had before, I had that after mine sat for a while after I broke my clutch wire and I installed a new one. I just pulled in the clutch lever and popped it into first. It seemed to break loose the clutch plates and work just fine. You might want another opinion on this method though :P

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
30 May 2013 13:58 #589937 by freakinbike
I tried putting it into gear, just with the bike on the center stand. It shifted, very roughly, but it shifted. But it didn't fix anything. I was able to ride it around the block, but it was sketchy because my left wrist felt like it was about to fall off and stopping, even with the clutch pulled in, killed it.

1973 VW Bus

More
30 May 2013 14:01 #589938 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic Clutch Adjustment Woes
Thats weird, I've only ever worked on mine so Im not sure about the gpz and if its the same kind and screw type mechanism. I saw on the other post you did adjust the cable and still too much slack. is it a new cable? it could be breaking down inside the casing and stretching and breaking every time you pull it in. This happened to me also.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
30 May 2013 17:15 #589963 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Clutch Adjustment Woes
What manual are you referencing? Do you have the owner's manual? Which way are you turning the clutch release adjusting screw? Clockwise first, then counterclockwise? Or vice versa, counterclockwise first?

More
01 Jun 2013 19:50 #590326 by freakinbike
kz.bike-night.com/manual.html

I do not have the owner's manual. I'm turning the adjusting screw clockwise (in), then slightly counterclockwise (out), just like the manual says. I did try it the other way, just to see if it changed anything though. It didn't.

1973 VW Bus