530 conversion on my kz900

More
06 Jun 2013 21:28 #591145 by Matteson
Replied by Matteson on topic 530 conversion on my kz900

Jeff.Saunders wrote: As a previous owner swapped out the rear wheel, you need to make sure all the parts you need are actually there. This includes the spacer that goes between the sprocket carrier and the hub. I would suggest assembling the parts on the axle to make sure they all fit perfectly. If the interior spacer is missing, or if is the wrong one or the wrong way around, the sprocket carrier may float.

What's the spacer look like? Is it that black thing in the wheel? I do know that I didn't torque the sprocket right. i just slapped it on there with my impact. I know I should have researched the spec torque. The sprocket is true. I put it on glass an it sits even.

KZ 900-a4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2013 22:09 #591153 by Matteson
well, I just spun the wheel off the bike in my hands by grabbing the axle and it has a wobble from left to right . Basically half the rotation goes left then back. Bearings? Bent axle? I can't imagine that mag being bent or warped. But I'm still pretty green. I do have an 80 750 mag in the corner. I wonder if that will fit my sprocket carrier?

KZ 900-a4

More
06 Jun 2013 23:51 #591167 by Matteson
OK, I torqued the sprocket correctly. Put the wheel on and lifted bike so it could spin when in gear. Tightened it all until the chain rode smooth really slow and fast. The sprocket isn't rocking either now. But the alignment marks I was going off for a rough idea to get true are definitely "rough" settings on my Z. We will see if I did this right by the sprocket wear :huh:

KZ 900-a4

More
07 Jun 2013 12:49 #591205 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic 530 conversion on my kz900
To get the wheel alignment, put the bike on the center stand, set the steering straight. Then get behind the bike and visually look down the sides of the rear tire. You should not be able to see the front wheel. You can do this with a length of thin string to assist.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
08 Jun 2013 10:55 - 08 Jun 2013 10:57 #591313 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 530 conversion on my kz900
When adjusting chain slack, owners commonly use the crude rough markings on the swing-arm to align the rear wheel.
A more accurate alignment within the swing-arm may be achieved by confirming equal distance on both sides between the swing arm pivot bolt and rear axle (measured between center-points).
Such alignment should also result in perfect alignment of the sprockets so that the chain runs straight and true between the sprockets.

Ideally, when the bike is rolling straight forward, the center-line of the rear tire will overlap the center-line of the front tire, but overlapping tire center-lines isn't critical, whereas perfect alignment of the sprockets is critical.
Many fat-rear-tire bikes, including factory showroom models, don't have overlapping tire center-lines. But they are all supposed to have perfect sprocket alignment.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jun 2013 10:57 by Patton.