Blown Motor Blues

• bluezbike
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 May 2013 20:07 #589485 by bluezbike
Blown Motor Blues was created by bluezbike
Just picked up a blown motor a couple of weeks ago and here is what I found inside!! Apparently some serious money was spent on this and it lived (I think for a very short time) in a Legend race car; the BANG happened about 12 years ago. Motor serial # is KZT00AE 106217 which I think makes it a 79 or 80 Mark 2. The good stuff I get that puts me way ahead are the cases are in great shape....they look brand new inside, HD head studs, oil gate mod, Dana S, welded clutch basket, gearbox is supposed to have been undercut but I don't see where....still it is in as new condition. The stuff that is questionable is the cylinders are an aftermarket (Arias) and the damage to cylinder 4 is obvious but what I cannot tell is how deep the scores are and what it can be bored out to ? At the present time the pistons in there were MTC 75 mm. diameter which makes it a 1170. There is a welded crank and you can see the damage to the small end. It does not go all the way through to the pin....maybe half way at the worst spot. Can the current arm be saved by welding in the gashes and refinishing? If not can the welded end on the crank be removed and a new arm be installed? Or is it really just a dead crank? The head is pretty toast but I may be able to save the valves which are Stainless....standard exhaust and oversize intakes. What do you guys think?

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2013 20:56 - 27 May 2013 20:59 #589487 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Blown Motor Blues
cant really tell from the pics if the trans is undercut. If so its a street undercut. Its to bad to see the damage but hopefully you got it at a good price.As far as the jug goes you could probably buy a new sleeve and just redo the one cyclinder, assuming all the others are within spec and are in good shape. Iam not sure what to say on the crank. Almost looks like it could be repaired but not sure.The cases do appear to be good shape. Looks like you have the possibilty of good start to a new race motor. lol

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 27 May 2013 20:59 by Powerstroke_fan.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
27 May 2013 21:44 #589497 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Blown Motor Blues
bummer.....sell it in parts for $$$ and buy and engine that runs with a little $$ tossed in...probably save a bit....but then you did not ask me

pretty beat up...not my cup of tea to try and save that one...but others know more

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
27 May 2013 22:24 #589503 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Blown Motor Blues
#1 Trans does not appear to be undercut.

#2 Crank can more than likely be saved but.. $$$$$

#3 new sleeve can be installed.

What were you planning to do with engine ? dragbike ? if so I have a brand new big block and piston kit ready to go if interested email me at b.flood@myactv.net

1984 750 Turbo

More
28 May 2013 01:21 #589529 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Blown Motor Blues
That head can be fixed, but not worth it unless it was a fully ported race head.