Having issues with my 82 KZ750

More
27 May 2013 16:27 - 27 May 2013 16:32 #589456 by bonedip
Having issues with my 82 KZ750 was created by bonedip
I just picked up a complete KZ750 for "parts" on local craigslist for extremely cheap just to see if by some grace of god it could be salvaged. The person that sold it to me said it was running very recently (it was titled until last month) There is no electric starter on the bike but I put a new battery in it and all of the lights/turn signals work correctly.

The problem comes with the starting of it.

I cant move through the gears only have neutral/first.
The kickstart WON'T move unless i hold the clutch in (even when the green neutral light is on and the bike moves freely)

When I pull the clutch in the kickstart is very easy to push down, no resistance at all.

What am I looking at here?

Thanks for reading, this is a great community!
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 May 2013 16:32 by bonedip. Reason: Added photos of the bike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2013 16:36 #589457 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Having issues with my 82 KZ750
These engines have an interlock, preventing gear operation beyond first, unless the engine is running. You might be able to shift to higher gears, if the back wheel is off the ground, and turned a few times.

Squeezing the clutch lever disconnects the clutch from the drive train, so look at adjusting the clutch & clutch cable. Also, do not use car oils in a wet plate clutch motorcycle, as they contain friction modifiers, not kind to clutches.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bonedip

More
27 May 2013 16:41 #589459 by bonedip
Replied by bonedip on topic Having issues with my 82 KZ750
Thanks for the words, I am completely new to these bikes!

More
27 May 2013 16:56 #589462 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Having issues with my 82 KZ750
Since the kicker won’t rotate the engine the pistons may be seized in the cylinders. If the bike has a centerstand you may want to try this – with the bike on the centerstand, the spark plugs removed, and the transmission in first gear see if you can rotate the rear wheel (you may need to apply a fair amount of force). If you can rotate the engine this way, and the kicker still doesn’t work, there may be a problem with the kicker assembly. If the engine still won’t rotate you may want to put some penetrating oil in the cylinders and let that soak for a couple days before trying again. If the engine still won’t turn over you may be looking at a rebuild. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bonedip

More
28 May 2013 01:48 #589533 by bonedip
This is really helpful, I'll work on the bike some more tomorrow!

Thanks

More
28 May 2013 23:50 #589659 by BLACKBEARD
Replied by BLACKBEARD on topic Having issues with my 82 KZ750
Holy s!$@ I had the exact same symptoms... kicker wouldn't kick unless the clutch was pulled in. Long story short dam kids knocked the bike over into the swimming pool, old lady never told me about it. By the time I pulled the head off pistons were seized, rusted to the cylinder walls.

83 Gpz 750 named Rusty.

More
29 May 2013 11:57 #589726 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Having issues with my 82 KZ750
Take off the stator cover (left side engine cover) and make sure that the starter chain and drive sprocket were removed. If someone removed the starter without opening up the left side and removing that chain, then it is possible it's wound up and locking the crank.

KD9JUR

More
05 Jun 2013 04:11 #590911 by bonedip
Alright so I got the cover off the bike and drained the oil, no chain there. I've attached some pictures to give an idea if what I'm working with now.
Attachments:

More
05 Jun 2013 10:39 #590925 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Having issues with my 82 KZ750
Just an FYI:
You must either leave the sprocket installed behind the rotor, or find some way to block off the oil hole in the crank that's under the sprocket hub.

Grab hold of the rotor and try and rock it back and forth, with the spark plugs removed.

KD9JUR