H-2 help

More
26 May 2013 18:13 #589304 by Matteson
H-2 help was created by Matteson
My friend Tim needs help with the H-2. After years of sitting the barrel studs have fused with the cylinders. Soaking, heat [propane], vibration, nothing has worked. I have never had this problem before. I do not want to break/bend anything. Suggestions? If someone with the knowledge of applying JUST enough heat is out there, we could give that a try. I'm lost.

Read more: vintage-riders.com/index.cgi?board=sourc...d=1289#ixzz2URBItm88

KZ 900-a4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2013 21:02 #589329 by Zedone
Replied by Zedone on topic H-2 help
Use diesel fuel, @ 1 tablespoon or so per cylinder. Wait for a day or 2 and shd pop right off. Repeat if necessary.

Doug

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

More
26 May 2013 21:43 #589340 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic H-2 help
Thats a real problem with H2's that have sat outside in the rain. I used to restore triples in years past. What ever you do, DON'T PRY WITH SCREWDRIVER ON THE BASE GASKITS SURFACES. You will ruin the cases and the cylinders!!! Base gaskit seal on a two stroke is more important than head gaskit seal. Bet you its the two outer cylinders you can't get off right???

Just yourself some Kano Laboratories AeroKroil penetrating oil. It ain't cheap, but it is the BEST I have ever used!!! Get all the old oil you put down the stud holes, and fill them up with the AeroKroil. Let it sit for a few days. Hit with rubber mallet couple times a day. I have taken as long as a week or more to get them free.

Now it they are really stuck, you got to use drastic measures!!! Do you know about muriatic acid. It eats corrosion, and aluminum. I used to use it to remove the aluminum from seized two stroke cylinder walls. Get all the oil out of stud holes and use an eyedropper to put the acid down them. Remember it will eat the corrosion, AND the surrounding aluminum. Water stops the chemical reaction. Remember you are eating the aluminum away. I had to do this to a few H2's to get the cylinders off.

Worse one I ever had, I got the cylinder up about a 1/4 inch, and cut the 4 studs off with a hacksaw. You got a project on your hands. If you heat the whole motor up too high, you will melt the inner crankseals. Have you seen the cost of a rebuilt H2 crank??? $$$$$$$$$

Good Luck Sir.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

More
27 May 2013 14:33 #589427 by Matteson
Replied by Matteson on topic H-2 help
Thanks Doc. I went over to Tim's last night and he has heck of deal there on his hands. Yep, the outer two are stuck. He has been doing this for years and is stumped. Even old timers don't always have all the answers. Very humble man. I told about the post and was willing to try the oil.

KZ 900-a4