550 issues and questions

More
24 May 2013 00:52 #588979 by Olnasty13
550 issues and questions was created by Olnasty13
I'm in the process of building my 550 ltd bobber.. I have a stock air box and exhaust still with factory h pipe.. If I take my muffler off n extend my pipes will I lose tons of power? Also I want to just put filters on my carbs and get rid of my air box I jus got this bike kinda wanna make it louder and better looking i had my carbs tuned up last year and it runs nice so I don't wanna have to mess with them again... Open to suggestions maybe a smaller muffler? Baffles on straight pipes ? Lemme know much appreciated

1981 Kawasaki 550 LTD custom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2013 01:22 #588982 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic 550 issues and questions
Odds are good you'll have to mess with the carbs again. You're probably going to need to throw a lot more fuel into the cylinders because you're increasing volume of both the exhaust and intake.

I don't know offhand (I'm not crazy) what kinds of jets you'll need, but I bet you can find a good guide somewhere out on the internet: "rejetting a kz550 for open pipes, air pods"

If you're really crazy and don't want to think about it much at all, you could try unscrewing the pilot screws a couple turns. I don't think it'll really help, but it's worth a shot.

And as for power - yes, you're gonna lose torque at the bottom end. The top end may feel the same, but you'll be running the engine lean, which can be pretty bad because it gets much hotter.

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

More
24 May 2013 02:31 #588987 by Olnasty13
Replied by Olnasty13 on topic 550 issues and questions
Hmm also my number 2 cylinder doesn't fire sometimes, also wen it does its kinda cooler than the rest I understand it might be the float? The outcome is I'm constantly playing with the idle screw it's got new coils wires and plugs I find I gotta turn it up wen it's cold and down wen it's warm then it's usually good after that the carbs are synced and it idles and starts like nobody's business but there's that number 2 issue.. On my tach wen I rev it up it will hang there and slowly come Down Unless I knock down the idle screw it'll fall right Down to about 1300 rpm.. Last year it idled perfect no number 2 issue ... How would I fix that float? Or adjust it or clean it

More
24 May 2013 02:37 #588988 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic 550 issues and questions
Could be a lotta stuff. The high idle after warming up sounds like you're running lean (I know this because I just had that problem, and moving the carb needles fixed it). But you haven't changed anything in your fuel/exhaust system, so I don't see how that can be.

As for the cylinder being cold, I would guess it's only firing sometimes. It's only the one? The matching cylinder is firing fine? On my bike 2 and 3 are at TDC at the same time and 1 and 4 are, too. Basically the two that are on the same ignition coil travel together.

You could check if it's getting spark. Pull the plug when it's not working and see if it's sparking. If it is, then it's probably either your mixture (carb is leaking? check by spraying wd40 or something on the seals) or you've lost compression due to a leaky valve or piston rings.

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

More
24 May 2013 10:06 #589008 by Beav
Replied by Beav on topic 550 issues and questions
I put pod filters on my 550 last year, I had to drill my jets. I put a 4 to 1 on this year and didn't have to touch the carbs.

More
24 May 2013 10:28 #589015 by Olnasty13
Replied by Olnasty13 on topic 550 issues and questions
What do u mean by drill the jets haha... And what does a 4 into 1 pipe system go for do I need to fix my carbs to have just exhaust?

More
25 May 2013 00:06 - 25 May 2013 00:16 #589084 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 550 issues and questions
Get it running solid and reliable before messing with pods and exhaust, or you will be fighting several battles at the same time.

After you get the bike running reliably in stock configuration, you will need adjustable needles (which come in the rebuild kits or in the Dynojet kit), and larger main jets, and you will have to likely drill the pilot jets since there are no non-stock sizes available. The rebuild kit will come with new mains, adjustable needles, and new pilots, so I recommend going with them, plus they are cheaper than the Dynojet kits and you get a lot more stuff like the fuel valves that you probably need.

Check my signature and get all of the manuals, read the valve train warning, and go to the TK22 carb site for info on drilling jets and setting fuel levels etc.

My buddy is rejetting a 550A (same engine as yours) for a Mac 4-into-1 and pods (I did try to talk him into using the airbox), so I can post the details when we have it all sorted. His bike still needs a lot of other work, so it may be a while.

If all you do is add a relatively quiet 4-into-1 exhaust (like a Kerker street system), you might get away with stock jetting. With pods, you will definitely have to find the right jet combo and will be drilling the pilots.
Last edit: 25 May 2013 00:16 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TomasDouglas