one dead cylinder.

• ILoveNasacar
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 May 2013 19:53 #588413 by ILoveNasacar
one dead cylinder. was created by ILoveNasacar
My 750twin after the carb rebuild won't run on both cylinders. I've checked compression on both cylinders and I'm about 150 on both, I have spark, I've tried different plugs. I did a clear tube float check and found that both the carbs are where they need to be. I can smell gas on my hand when I place it to the back of the dead cylinders pipe. I could also see gas coming out of the sparkplug hole when I ran it for a few seconds with out a plug in.I run filters and can see fuel running through the carbs when I remove the drain screw. I should try a leak down test. Any ideas? I'm sure you guys get this one alot. thanks for the help. Sorry for any mistakes/errors that I may of made, I'm in a hurry to get out the door haha. :)

1976 kz750 twin
1976 Ke175
1981 stroked w12 moon lander, autographed by Neil Armstrong, after he was revived by the church of Scientology last month.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2013 21:09 - 20 May 2013 21:09 #588426 by steell
Replied by steell on topic one dead cylinder.
You're probably getting to much fuel to that cylinder and flooding it out.
I had that problem on a bike I had just purchased, I set the service fuel level (float level) and that fixed the problem.

I did ride it around on one cylinder though, just had to see if it would do it :laugh:

KD9JUR
Last edit: 20 May 2013 21:09 by steell.

• ILoveNasacar
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2013 03:38 #588852 by ILoveNasacar
Replied by ILoveNasacar on topic one dead cylinder.
Thanks steell. I think your right, and here's why. That Cylinder is the cylinder that has the carb with the really loose brass tube that the needle jet slides inside of. I think what's happening is that too much gas is sneaking into the ratio through the air space in the faulty sealed off tube and it's flooding the bike. I feel really dumb for forgetting to fix it. I remember telling myself to get to it. I finished putting the new jets in and then went right to the installation. dumb. I'll have time tomorrow to open it up and hopefully find away to seal it. I had the same problem on my Ke175. I will let you guys know how it goes.

1976 kz750 twin
1976 Ke175
1981 stroked w12 moon lander, autographed by Neil Armstrong, after he was revived by the church of Scientology last month.

• ILoveNasacar
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 May 2013 03:43 #588853 by ILoveNasacar
I tried to ride around on one cylinder, it was really hard to get it moving haha. I had no acceleration or anything. My first thoughts were timing and then the advancer. Should of just pulled the plugs or felt the pipe to see if it was hot or not.

1976 kz750 twin
1976 Ke175

• ILoveNasacar
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 May 2013 03:04 #589097 by ILoveNasacar
While in the meantime of trying to source an O-ring for that carb, I took the O-ring from that carb and turned it in side out. This gave the O-ring a little more of a body and sealed of the needle jet a little better. Once I put it back together and started it, the cylinder was firing again. However, It was only surging, and surging really bad. I'm hoping that a new O-ring can fix my problem.

1976 kz750 twin
1976 Ke175