Replacing Head Gasket noob question KZ400

More
20 May 2013 17:12 #588389 by ejether
I've got a 1974 KZ400 with ~5k on the clock.
Oil was leaking from the head-gasket so I've pulled the head and the cylinders.

Should I hone the cylinders when I reassemble? Will that require new rings?

The last time I replace a head gasket/base gasket on a thumper, I did nothing of the sort but I'm pretty new at the inside of engines..

Thanks for any insight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2013 17:49 #588397 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Replacing Head Gasket noob question KZ400
at 5k, I wouldn't think honing cylinders would be necessary unless something bad had hapenned to the engine. You might have been able to get away with just re-torquing them, but since you have it off now, definitely replace the gasket.

Mine's at about 35k, and I'm still using original pistons and rings. I look at honing more when doing a full rebuild, not just a gasket swap.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
20 May 2013 17:52 #588398 by ejether
Replied by ejether on topic Replacing Head Gasket noob question KZ400

Del_Herring wrote: at 5k, I wouldn't think honing cylinders would be necessary unless something bad had hapenned to the engine. You might have been able to get away with just re-torquing them, but since you have it off now, definitely replace the gasket.

Mine's at about 35k, and I'm still using original pistons and rings. I look at honing more when doing a full rebuild, not just a gasket swap.

Thanks for the input! Nothing wrong with the rings cylinders that I can tell. They might be a little glazed...

I would have tried re-tourquing but I also twised the head of all 4 intake boot bolts so the head had to come off and go to a machine shop anyway. At this point, I regret pulling the jugs off an messing with the base gasket, but thats more a time-spent-scraping issue.