Kz 400 engine , alternator cover blows !!! ??

• supereightmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 May 2013 14:38 #587371 by supereightmm
Kz 400 engine , alternator cover blows !!! ?? was created by supereightmm
Hola Everyone ,

this is very strange , i restored a kz 400 from 1978 , all engine resotored , new pistons , engine sounds perfect , rode with it for 50 kilometers , and later alternator cover cracks and oil comes out .... strange , i gt a new cover from Ebay , replace it , and it does it again !! ..

could you please help me , what do you think its creating this problem ..

thanks

Attachment foto1.JPG not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2013 14:55 #587376 by 650ed
The generator's coil field is attached inside that cover. I wonder if the rotor is off center (bent crankshaft?) and is striking the coil field causing the cover to fracture. Also, those are not the correct bolts holding that coil field to the cover (should be Allen bolts) so I wonder if the coil field became a bit lose and cause the rotor to hit it. I would remove the cover and use a dial gauge to see if the rotor and crank are running true. If they are, I would be sure to attach the field coil to the next cover using the correct 6 x 18 Allen bolts. While you have the cover off look to see if there are any telltale signs of the rotor contacting the field coil.

Also, it looks like an excessive amount of oil inside that generator cover. I'm thinking the crankshaft seal may be damaged, and that could happen if the crankshaft is bent. Perhaps someone with a KZ400 can tell if that oil is normal, but it doesn't look right to me. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• supereightmm
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 May 2013 15:48 #587388 by supereightmm
Replied by supereightmm on topic Kz 400 engine , alternator cover blows !!! ??
Hello Ed , it makes total sense what you say , we took the cover off and what we found is a perfect circular marc on the bottom of the cover ( where it exploded ) .. the marc is circular , so i would say this rules the offset or bent crankshaft no ? what im afraid is that the nut / bolt that holds it is to big and for some reason it "forced" its way out , braking the cover ?? , please see atahced pictures ..
maybe 2 many washers on the bolt ? would it help if we trimm the head so it does not touch the cover ?

any ideas ?

Attachment IMG_1231.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1229.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_1232.JPG not found

now , the oil , there should be a normal amount of oil in there correct ? , or it should be dry ? i cant remember ?

thanks for the quick feedback .
Attachments:

More
14 May 2013 16:00 #587391 by 650ed
Someone with a KZ400 will need to chime in on the oil issue; I don't know if it should be wet or dry. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 May 2013 22:11 #587451 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Kz 400 engine , alternator cover blows !!! ??
1) there is oil in there
2) what does the end of your crank look like?
there should be a bolt holding your other component to the crank, maybe the bolt backed out and took out the cover.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0