81 Kz440 Carb

• TheBradley12
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 May 2013 20:29 #587232 by TheBradley12
81 Kz440 Carb was created by TheBradley12
Hello I am new to kz440s but i recentley got one trying to restore it, I have no prior knowledge of this bike or bikes in general so i ran into a problem. I finished putting on the gas tank and tried to start her up but she began leaking fuel from the lines that hang down from the carbs and it would not start, my buddy thinks its the floats. Could someone please help me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
14 May 2013 09:33 #587303 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 81 Kz440 Carb
It sounds like your buddy is on the right track. The fuel yank needs to be cleaned out so you don't get more junk into the carbs. The carbs will need to come off, pull the float bowls off, the floats and float vales out, the jets out, the mixture screws out, the slides out, and clean all of the passage ways. The float valves needles may have a either dirty or damaged tips. New carb kits would be best, so you get new float valves and gaskets/ o-rings etc.
You need a Factory Service Manual for your bike. There are links to a free download of it posted here on KZR, which you can find using Google search or the search feature here.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheBradley12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.