GPZ died on the road

More
12 May 2013 23:15 #587102 by freakinbike
GPZ died on the road was created by freakinbike
I was riding my 82 GPZ 750 to fill it up and from a stop sign, it started riding very rough. I thought it was running out of gas, so I opened the throttle all the way and then it rode fine. The only problem was I was going 70 in a 45 zone...

When I slowed down, I kept it in 3rd but it wouldn't go faster than 30mph. I opened the throttle again and it stayed down at 30. When I got to the gas station, I let up a little too much and it died. I had to push it to the pump.

I filled it up and gave it a little gas, thinking it was empty, and tried to start it. It turned over just fine but wouldn't start. I kept trying. Nothing. I tried to push start it and got nothing. A fellow biker came and helped me push it faster and it DID start, for a second, then it died again.

I tried jumping it from a car battery (car was not turned on) and it still wouldn't start.

I've turned the tank to RES, back to ON, several times. I've tried with the choke full on, half on, and off. I've checked the vacuums and I can't find a detached or broken hose.

Currently the bike is still at the gas station. The clerk told me she'd keep an eye on it, and thankfully I'm in Utah County, so I'm not too worried.

The biker who helped me try to push start it said the battery might be the issue, but it was still turning the starter motor without a problem.

1982 GPZ750, stock (for now..)
1973 VW Bus
Can life really get much better?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2013 23:17 #587104 by freakinbike
Replied by freakinbike on topic GPZ died on the road
I just realized I didn't check the spark. I was having issues riding in the rain about a week ago, maybe the coils finally gave out? How should I check for spark?

1973 VW Bus

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
12 May 2013 23:29 #587107 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic GPZ died on the road
Use a spark plug from your spares, or remove one. Hook it up to the spark plug wire and lay it on the cylinder head. Crank the motor and watch the spark plug for a nice blue spark.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
12 May 2013 23:40 #587112 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic GPZ died on the road
If its not spark you might try draining the bowls and trying again when you get close to empty is when you draw the water and trash in the tank

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

More
13 May 2013 00:33 #587122 by freakinbike
So when you say "nice big blue spark", how big? I checked the spark and cylinder 4 had a tiny, tiny spark, and cylinder 4 wasn't much better. 2 and 3 had noticeably better spark.

I got the bike home. It started and did well throughout the powerband. Unfortunately, getting it into first with the bike off wasn't good to the shifter arm and it broke, so I had to ride home in first.

Is there an example of a nice big blue spark somewhere that I can gauge off? I've wanted to upgrade to Dyna S and new coils, so here's my excuse to do so.

1973 VW Bus

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 May 2013 00:42 #587123 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic GPZ died on the road
So you got it to run thats good. The two outside cylinders, 1-4 run off of 1 coil, and the inside 2-3 the other. Also the same is true for the Ignition pick up coils. One coil for the 1-4 and another for 2-3. So if spark is weaker on one coil, fist make sure the Plus are not fouled. Swap them or replace them. Then if it is still weaker, try swapping the coils around and see if it moves or stays the same. If it moves then either the coils, wires, or end caps are at fault. Getting new coils and wires would be best if you can afford it.
If it still is weak on the same two plug, after the swap, you'll then need to check the pick up coils, connections at the Ignitor, and wiring before replacing much else.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
14 May 2013 02:52 #587277 by freakinbike
Awesome, sounds like new coils is the way to go. I'll still do the check, but I've been meaning upgrade anyway. Problem is, Z1 is out of stock (has been for awhile) on the 3 ohm coils. Any other recommended parts sites?

1973 VW Bus

More
14 May 2013 07:58 #587292 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic GPZ died on the road

freakinbike wrote: Awesome, sounds like new coils is the way to go. I'll still do the check, but I've been meaning upgrade anyway. Problem is, Z1 is out of stock (has been for awhile) on the 3 ohm coils. Any other recommended parts sites?

:huh:
Z1E's listing says In Stock .

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...9+DC1-1&item=DYDC1-1

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...&item=DYDC1-1-single

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD