Hard to find neutral? (kz400)

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
10 May 2013 02:48 #586679 by recez
Hard to find neutral? (kz400) was created by recez
Ok... one last question then I'll stop for a while and let others go :) There are just so many things I'm having to fix at once... so sorry I post so many topics. I'm guessing that my clutch is bad... But I really have a hard time finding neutral when the engine is running. Maybe it could be as simple as a new clutch cable... which I do have and plan on installing. I have adjusted my clutch cable according to the manual... But it still feels really tight...My hand starts to cramp up after 10 mins of riding. Might i be so lucky that the new clutch cable will take care of this problem.. Or should I plan on replacing the clutch right away. I do have some clutch slippage....every now and then it will slip into neutral..lol.. from 2nd. But most of the time getting to 2nd from 1st only takes one click. Any suggestions?

74 kz400 D cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 May 2013 10:05 #586700 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Hard to find neutral? (kz400)
Hopefully you have the Service Manual for your bike. There is a clutch Push Rod adjustment that should be done Before the Cable adjustment. This mechanism also needs lubricating. So if/ when you replace the cable, look at this to be cleaned and lubed, then adjusted.
Also the type of oil you use in a Motorcycle with a Wet Clutch will effect the clutch operation.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
10 May 2013 11:38 #586721 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Hard to find neutral? (kz400)
A new clutch cable might help, they're cheap anyways. I know on mine, when I first got it, it was real stiff. I'd sometimes get the clutch slipping at high loads because the cable hung up and didn't quite let off the clutch all the way. New cable took care of it. I'd replace the old one, and then check the stuff Motor Head said. The clutches tend to last a long time, so I wouldn't replace them until I'd checked all that stuff first.

If you're jumping out of gear, that sounds like a different problem all together.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

• recez
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 74 kz400 D
More
10 May 2013 23:56 #586802 by recez
Replied by recez on topic Hard to find neutral? (kz400)
thank ya'll for the help. My clutch doesn't slip out of gear all the time. Once in a blue moon when shifting from 1st to 2nd (on my bike only takes one click up/ seems to totally skip neutral) it will for a brief time stay in 2nd then slip down to neutral. I did use the wrong oil when I first did the initial oil change (used regular motor oil). I drained it a soon as I realized I messed up... and put Motorcycle specific oil (4 stroke). Hopefully the clutch cable and the clutch push rod adjustment Motor Head suggested will work. Thanks

74 kz400 D cafe

More
11 May 2013 00:12 #586805 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Hard to find neutral? (kz400)

recez wrote: thank ya'll for the help. My clutch doesn't slip out of gear all the time. Once in a blue moon when shifting from 1st to 2nd (on my bike only takes one click up/ seems to totally skip neutral) it will for a brief time stay in 2nd then slip down to neutral.

It is suppose to bypass neutral.
Just keep riding, it will come around.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
11 May 2013 02:05 #586813 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Hard to find neutral? (kz400)

recez wrote: Ok... one last question then I'll stop for a while and let others go :) There are just so many things I'm having to fix at once... so sorry I post so many topics. I'm guessing that my clutch is bad... But I really have a hard time finding neutral when the engine is running. Maybe it could be as simple as a new clutch cable... which I do have and plan on installing. I have adjusted my clutch cable according to the manual... But it still feels really tight...My hand starts to cramp up after 10 mins of riding. Might i be so lucky that the new clutch cable will take care of this problem.. Or should I plan on replacing the clutch right away. I do have some clutch slippage....every now and then it will slip into neutral..lol.. from 2nd. But most of the time getting to 2nd from 1st only takes one click. Any suggestions?

Could be a problem with the "throw out" assembly. I had that problem with my 750 twin when it was new, I had to replace it. Yours may need cleaning and lubing.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
11 May 2013 11:41 #586850 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hard to find neutral? (kz400)

Nebr_Rex wrote:

recez wrote: thank ya'll for the help. My clutch doesn't slip out of gear all the time. Once in a blue moon when shifting from 1st to 2nd (on my bike only takes one click up/ seems to totally skip neutral) it will for a brief time stay in 2nd then slip down to neutral.

It is suppose to bypass neutral.
Just keep riding, it will come around.

+1 Downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear is 1 click; going from 1st to 2nd gear is one click. Going from 2nd to neutral or 1st to neutral takes a soft half click. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)