smoothbores

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 May 2013 23:19 #585877 by jonarmstrong
smoothbores was created by jonarmstrong
What's so special about the 29mm's? What years were they a factory item if they were? I have factory cv carbs and am looking to upgrade and don't know what is my best choice. What about 28mm pumpers?

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2013 23:35 #585884 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic smoothbores
Some info here (click and scroll down to 29 smoothbore)--

www.z1enterprises.com/Z1CarbGuide.aspx

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonarmstrong

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2013 02:07 - 06 May 2013 02:08 #585910 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic smoothbores
The po was trying to turn my bike into a drag bike so I don't have a factory air box and a lot of things were already modified. I'm too far out w this bike to get it back to original. I've put it back together w all the stuff I got in the boxes! Now I'm trying to smooth the edges to make a nice bike out of it. Performance is always an issue and since I admitadly don't know everything I'm asking what carbs are better than others. If this offends anyone (trianglelaguna), read something else.

Last edit: 06 May 2013 02:08 by jonarmstrong.

More
06 May 2013 03:03 #585917 by Haybus
Replied by Haybus on topic smoothbores
You don't want smooth bores. If you had a set then everyone would try to buy them off you. I don't believe the 29's ever came stock from the factory on a KZ, but I could be wrong. What's special about them is they're worth more than anything else you could bolt onto your bike, or so it seems.

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

More
06 May 2013 09:52 #585954 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic smoothbores
The 29's are great carbs on the ealier 1000's. The issue with the later 1000's, the heads have the intake runners sized for 34mm carbs. While you can fit ealier KZ900/1000 carb holds to the later head, you end up with a huge step in the intake from the 28mm mcarb holder to the 34mm intake runner.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2013 10:11 #585958 by jonarmstrong
So what would be the best performance mod to make from where i am now? Bike runs pretty good just want more.

More
06 May 2013 10:39 #585962 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic smoothbores
Mikuni RS34's or Keihin CR33's are the best performance options - but not cheap - expect to pay $750+ new for these or $500+ used.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
06 May 2013 14:00 #585989 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic smoothbores
so sorry....just having fun like you did in that other thread....calm down...ten deep breaths...there...feel better :)

jonarmstrong wrote: The po was trying to turn my bike into a drag bike so I don't have a factory air box and a lot of things were already modified. I'm too far out w this bike to get it back to original. I've put it back together w all the stuff I got in the boxes! Now I'm trying to smooth the edges to make a nice bike out of it. Performance is always an issue and since I admitadly don't know everything I'm asking what carbs are better than others. If this offends anyone (trianglelaguna), read something else.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 May 2013 15:19 #585995 by jonarmstrong
It's all good. Appreciate the info in the pm. Any way to move it to here? Other newbies may benifit from it as well

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
06 May 2013 17:13 #586008 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic smoothbores
the thing with these old bikes and many here will not agree...is that 30 plus years in bike sales and engine tech have gone by,that said,your bike is made to run in that sweet spot of everyday riding....from light to light and from home to a ride and back...35-85 mph is where those carbs and that bike will run for decades without breaking....carbs and a killer pipe can open up the fuel/air flow....but also make the thing less rider friendly around town etc.....if your 32 year old bike runs pretty good now...you are doing way better than many of the "bike builders" on this and other sites...as you can go out put a key in your bike and go for a ride.....the more things get messed with the greater the chance of have a "project" and not a bike to ride...you can find mikuni 33 mm smoothbores used on e-bay for under 400 some days....or put wtb thread on here and get someone willing to toss you a set

jonarmstrong wrote: So what would be the best performance mod to make from where i am now? Bike runs pretty good just want more.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife