Oil contaminated with gasoline

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 May 2013 21:24 #585677 by Kitten Tooth
Oil contaminated with gasoline was created by Kitten Tooth
My dad's bike has a problem with leaky needles and seats in the carbs. I just changed his oil and put new in. I re-used the old filter because we didnt have another one. Well guess what.. the carbs pissed gas right back into the crank case and now its all contaminated again. I supposed a petcock that just had "on" and "off" would fix the issue for good.. but what about the oil? Castrol GTX is 25 bucks a jug at orielly's. I figure gasoline weighs less then oil so wouldnt it all just float to the top? is there any way to just siphon the gas off the top of the oil?

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2013 21:34 #585679 by chonus
Replied by chonus on topic Oil contaminated with gasoline
im pretty sure the gas will just dilute the oil, in other words they mix, and it will thin out the oil

-Dave

'82 kz305 lil bob
'82 kz1000 streetfighter project
'80 kz750/4 LTD
'02 kx125

More
04 May 2013 21:47 #585682 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic Oil contaminated with gasoline
A petcock that turns off won't really solve the problem. Your issue still lies in the needles and seats. If they are not sealing your fuel level will be off even when bike is running and will cause your bike to run poorly. And the oil will be diluted and needs to be changed again :( sorry! Went through it myself so I know how frustrating it is.

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

More
04 May 2013 22:00 - 04 May 2013 22:03 #585684 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil contaminated with gasoline

jonarmstrong wrote: A petcock that turns off won't really solve the problem. Your issue still lies in the needles and seats. If they are not sealing your fuel level will be off even when bike is running and will cause your bike to run poorly. And the oil will be diluted and needs to be changed again :( sorry! Went through it myself so I know how frustrating it is.

+1
Drop the carb bowls (you can do this with the carbs still on the bike) and clean the float valve needles and seats with Q-tips & carb cleaner. Then test to see if still leaking (clear tube test should show high for a leaking carb). If they are damaged to a point where cleaning won't stop the flow - replace them. Regarding the petcock - if it's a vacuum type it shouldn't allow fuel to pass through it when the engine is shut off. If it does, check the diaphragm for holes or tears and make sure it's operating properly. The float valves still must be fixed, but the petcock should have prevented fuel flow when the engine was turned off. When fully satisfied that the leak is fixed, change oil & filter. Ed

Here's what I use to make dropping carb bowls easier...
kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/509690-carb-bowl-removal#509694

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 04 May 2013 22:03 by 650ed.