kz1000 clutch basket

• boogiepicker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 May 2013 18:34 #585660 by boogiepicker
kz1000 clutch basket was created by boogiepicker
Im rebuilding my clutch basket and waiting for the spring and rivet kit to arrive but, while cleaning it up after drilling out the rivets and disassembling I noticed something.The big gear that is riveted to the basket and is driven by the crank has 4 distinct engraved lines on the side edge near the teeth ? So I went over to the motor and turned it over with a wrench carefully inspecting it and sure enough engraved lines on the crank gear! My question is did Kawasaki index these at the factory for better balancing? Also does anybody know a good place to send my basket after I assemble it to have it balanced? Prefereably near NY state
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2013 18:49 #585664 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic kz1000 clutch basket
No. The ratios are different. As soon as the motor turned over it would be out of index. Have you opened the basket and backing plate for the larger rivets?

• boogiepicker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 May 2013 21:58 - 08 May 2013 00:26 #585857 by boogiepicker
Replied by boogiepicker on topic kz1000 clutch basket
Your right about that ,yes I've drilled out the old rivets and have it all dissasembled
Last edit: 08 May 2013 00:26 by boogiepicker.

More
06 May 2013 07:33 #585935 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic kz1000 clutch basket
Those aren't factory markings.

Larry C.

More
06 May 2013 18:56 #586027 by Garn
Replied by Garn on topic kz1000 clutch basket
Can't think what/ why those marking would be there!
BoogiePicker, don't envy doing that clutch job.... You need three hands.
I could never work out which way the two large (3") washers were dished, when dis-assembled.

Nearly lost my fingers re-drilling plates for larger rivets. you really need a jig?
Then, how do you rivet-over those rivets? Ball-peen hammer, press with rounded female riveter, press cross-vee or oxy heating and one of above. I've seen some lousy jobs done with oxy.

RegardZ

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

More
06 May 2013 21:37 #586051 by APE Jay
That's what I mean. Our kits have 11mm rivets. Stock is probably 9.5. We get a lot of phone calls wondering how they are supposed to put them together.

You do need a jig to compress the cone washer.

• boogiepicker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2013 00:25 #586248 by boogiepicker
Replied by boogiepicker on topic kz1000 clutch basket
I've got my rivet/spring kit and everything drilled out for the new rivets.I temporarily assembled everything and put a bolt through the center hole with big washers and tightened it down to see how much force it takes to compress that conical washer and it isn't much at all.I'm going to assemble it that way and have the rivets smushed down with a press. I honestly think you could even peen them with a hammer but you would have to be careful and support it well.After studying the design of the clutch I see that the rivets go through the inside of the basket. Once you have all the other clutch components bolted in, there is no way the rivets can come out.The rivets themselves are not that hard and I think they can be easily peened. The brunt of the force is taken up by the sleeves that go over the rivets and bottom out in the slots in the gear when accelerating/decelerating .I'll tell you what is hard is the thin plate plate that goes on the back of the gear to hold in the springs. Had to sharpen my drill bit many times to drill the 3 holes.I highly recommend using a carbide drill bit. Also I think welding this HARD plate onto the rivets is a mistake.I know a lot of places do it but welding on hard tool steel can cause it to become brittle and crack or break unless it is done correctly .There is a reason the factory riveted them.Thanks to everyone that commented :)

More
08 May 2013 20:10 #586408 by APE Jay
The back plate is not toolsteel, just cased carbon steel. Our rivets are chrome moly and wouldn't rivet easly. You would need rivets made from leaded steel to smash nicely.

We have welded our rivets to the back plate for 30 years without a single failure.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
08 May 2013 21:55 #586427 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic kz1000 clutch basket
You Know ???
Maybe its only me, :whistle: But I would be looking carefully at this project and probably take the advise of a expert here, ;) just might mean I need stronger rivets, proper tools, and a good welder to insure this job doesn't spit parts out on to the ground next to my speeding scooter..
Applaud the effort , but if it were me It would be on its way to a shop with the right equipment

Someone like maybe APE B)

Just my opinion, Only worth .02

Best wishes
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
09 May 2013 04:19 #586517 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic kz1000 clutch basket
As cheap as APE does the labor on those its kind of a no brainer for me also :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.