Clutch Woes!

• The_Proletariat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
02 May 2013 22:57 #585359 by The_Proletariat
Clutch Woes! was created by The_Proletariat
Had a clutch issue today. One day after I replaced the cable and adjusted the clutch. Seemed fine after I replaced the cable yesterday.

Anywho today pulled the clutch in and I heard a "pop" and the cable went slack. The new cable did not break.

I have noticed a few things as I took the clutch cover off (again!). The clutch pushrod doesn't seem to move in anymore after a certain point, I assumed it would to activate the clutch.

My FSM says the clutch pushrod pushes on a steel ball at the end of the pushrod. I pulled the pushrod out and there is no steel ball here. Is this ball held in the trans? Or did it fall out?

[img

Next thing I noticed is this spring slipped inside the cable hole in the clutch cover. Is there supposted to be a washer at the end of this spring?

[img

The last thing I noticed is the race on this piece is slightly stripped. This is the piece that the clutch cable pulls on, and rotates outward to activate the pushrod.

[img

Which is my problem? Getting frustrated here.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 May 2013 00:12 #585381 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Clutch Woes!
Doubt the ball went anywhere, unless you had it on the side stand, then maybe. It would have rolled out on the ground if anything. See if when the rod is back in place the dirty part still lines up with where the seal is. Clean inside, and dirty out.
Spring on the cable is not your problem.
The Lever and the cam ramps, are most likely your issue. If this is not assembled correctly and installed, then adjusted correctly it leads to clutch problems.
Do you have the book for your bike? It should tell you the procedure for the adjustment and assembly.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• The_Proletariat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2013 10:48 #585425 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic Clutch Woes!
The clutch cable and release were installed and adjusted properly according to the procedure in my FSM. Before the loss of clutch tension the clutch lever felt perfect, like a new bike.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

• The_Proletariat
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 May 2013 13:43 #585442 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic Clutch Woes!
#92045 clutch release bearing does it matter which way the flat is facing?

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

More
03 May 2013 15:06 #585452 by dsmking
Replied by dsmking on topic Clutch Woes!
I've found that when replaceing clutch cables is that if the end of the cable is not seated where its supposed to be , kinds like if you take two cups and go to stack them and one is tilted and hangs up on the tip of tge bottom cup, now if you shake the bottom cup/glass the top cup drops in. If you get what I mean lol, you probably didn't have the cable seated,and when you pulled the clutch in it pooped into place,

I would say just go back redo you're adjustments and it most likely will be good.

live fast die young.