Stripped threads on oil plug (1980 KZ750)

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
02 May 2013 17:39 #585317 by Kawasaki_Mike
Stripped threads on oil plug (1980 KZ750) was created by Kawasaki_Mike
I just got my bike out of storage after a nice long winter here in AB, Canada and went for a quick ride then got ready do the standard oil change. When I connected the socket to the plug I noticed that it was turning fine but the plug was not coming out. I can't tighten it or loosen it so it looks like the threads must be completely stripped. I'm not too mechanically inclined unfortunately but I did try to turn it with a vicegrip while pulling down but that didn't do anything. I couldn't even get it started at all to get a screwdriver in between to help it along or anything. If anyone has any suggestions of what I might be able to do to get this off it would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
02 May 2013 22:14 - 02 May 2013 22:15 #585344 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Stripped threads on oil plug (1980 KZ750)
I think your on the right track. A Good Pair of Real Vice Grips, and a pry bar while turning. You may have to pry on the Vice Grips first before you can get to the edge of the plug. Then hopefully your Auto Parts Store, should have a oversize plug. I would Tap for an oversize before using a Self Tapping plug. Or you could Time Sert or Heli-Coil back to stock and get a new plug thats correct.

Worst case, pull the pan off, and then repair the threads, or replace the pan with a good used one.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 02 May 2013 22:15 by Motor Head.

More
03 May 2013 00:20 #585384 by JR
I had a similar problem a number of years back and like Motor Head said you are on the right track with the vise grips. Just make sure you are turning in the right direction.

Kawasaki.com, owner info, motorcycle etc etc says that oil drain plug is 12 x 15 and you should be able to get an oversize one off the shelf at Canadian Tire or an auto parts store. I got a temporary one like in the pic from Canadian Tire and while it worked I really didn't have confidence in it and it seemed I needed to check and tighten every few days.
Good luck.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 May 2013 00:22 #585388 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Stripped threads on oil plug (1980 KZ750)

JR wrote: I had a similar problem a number of years back and like Motor Head said you are on the right track with the vise grips. Just make sure you are turning in the right direction.

Kawasaki.com, owner info, motorcycle etc etc says that oil drain plug is 12 x 15 and you should be able to get an oversize one off the shelf at Canadian Tire or an auto parts store. I got a temporary one like in the pic from Canadian Tire and while it worked I really didn't have confidence in it and it seemed I needed to check and tighten every few days.
Good luck.

That would be in an Emergency Only, and would be to get somewhere for a repair, or home. Expecting it to leak some.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
03 May 2013 08:06 #585407 by JR
Motor Head wrote
"That would be in an Emergency Only, and would be to get somewhere for a repair, or home. Expecting it to leak some"

It kept me going until I got a replacement oil pan. The drain plug that was in there was already oversize

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
03 May 2013 09:37 #585412 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Stripped threads on oil plug (1980 KZ750)
From Gadget's fixit page - Stripped Oil Plug? Not a Problem!

If the oil pan is stripped, you could replace it. There are plenty listed on ebbaayy. I would ask the sellers to verify that the drain plug & oil pan threads are good. Your bike has the same oil pan as all KZ650s & most KZ750-4s up to 1983.

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
31 May 2013 16:13 #590114 by Kawasaki_Mike
Replied by Kawasaki_Mike on topic Stripped threads on oil plug (1980 KZ750)
So ended up having to get a guy to remove the exhaust and then take off the oil pan. My luck gets worse from there. In the bottom of the oil pan when he took it off he found a couple of pretty good size metal pieces and a plastic piece which he said was a piece of the cam tension belt I believe thats what he called it. It was a decent sized piece at least an inch to an inch and a half long. Now the bad news he said that to replace it the whole top end would have to be taken apart and a a rebuild done. Does this make sense? I saw the pieces of metal and the plastic myself so I know they were definitely in the pan. It looks like this will be a very big and expensive job. The strange thing is that the bike runs like its brand new. Not a single problem with it. Wouldn't having these metal pieces sheared off and a piece of the chain tensioner broken off effect the operation of the bike? If anyone has any info or thoughts on all this it would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
31 May 2013 19:46 #590133 by Kawasaki_Mike
Here is a picture of what was in the bottom of the oil pan

Attachment KZ_750.JPG not found

Attachments:

• Kawasaki_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 Kawasaki 750 LTD
More
01 Jun 2013 21:36 #590345 by Kawasaki_Mike
My guess is the piece is one of these from this diagram. #14, 15 or 16. Which one do you guys think this is and will the replacement of this be a difficult and expensive job? Thanks for any help/advice.

Attachment B-6.png not found

Attachments: