Drain Plug Replacement (Noob)

More
02 May 2013 13:25 #585282 by jsantana
Drain Plug Replacement (Noob) was created by jsantana
Hey guys,

Name's Jose and I'm new to not only the forum but also owning a motorcycle. I've managed to get my 78 KZ650c running properly. I recently changed the oil and filter but I just couldn't get the plug to tighten properly. I now have a small oil leak. I looked into my manual and found that the drain plug installed on the bike is clearly aftermarket and much longer. I went ahead and ordered a new magnetic drain plug with the exact thread pitch and length as the stock plug.

Question is, is it possible to replace the plug without actually having to entirely replace the oil? Maybe by leaning the bike over somehow? I have replaced a neutral switch before and leaning the bike worked great but not sure if that would be effective when pulling the drain plug.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2013 13:38 #585285 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Drain Plug Replacement (Noob)
Just be fast. Not much oil will come out until you actually remove the bolt, and if you have the new bolt ready, you might only lose half a pint. I mean have the new bolt in your right hand ready to go in, as you pull the other bolt out with your left hand. Once you have the new bolt lined up (without being threaded), it will stop most of the flow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jsantana

More
02 May 2013 13:45 #585289 by jsantana
Replied by jsantana on topic Drain Plug Replacement (Noob)
Great! I figured but wanted to run it by someone. I'll give it a shot today.

Thanks!

More
03 May 2013 00:31 - 03 May 2013 00:35 #585390 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Drain Plug Replacement (Noob)
Hello, jsantana, and WELCOME to KZr! :cheer:

Would also use a large clean shallow catch pan underneath the bike so that escaping oil may be returned to the engine.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 May 2013 00:35 by Patton.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 May 2013 00:43 #585395 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Drain Plug Replacement (Noob)
I think I would drain it into a clean pan. Then Inspect those threads in the pan, check the fit of the new plug etc. Then worry about re-filling with the oil.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
12 May 2013 18:20 #587054 by jsantana
Hey guys! Im back to share my recent success. So turns out the threads on my 650 oil pan were stripped. I could have ordered a new oil pan but I went ahead and gave this silicone gasket stuff a try. I could get the drain plug to tighten ok but just not enough to prevent leaks. I picked up a tube of "VersaChem Super Blue 613" at Oreillys for like $8, and a new 12m gasket/washer.

Super Blue 613

I applied a little between the base of the bolt and the washer then a little more around the top of the washer. I let the silicone sit for about 15 mins as suggested on on the pkg, then I inserted the plug and tightened as far as I could before it would release again. I then let it cure for approx 20 hrs.

I had the obvious concerns of failure but it has been about 8 days of commuting and the silicone has done it's job magnificently. No leaks! It's most definitely not pretty but it works.

More
12 May 2013 18:57 #587060 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Drain Plug Replacement (Noob)

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/kzride5/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 314. Please enable debug mode for more information.

More
12 May 2013 21:11 #587075 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Drain Plug Replacement (Noob)
Welcome Jose.
I agree with Ed, replace the pan soon.
I had the same problem, and re tapped the oil pan and used a larger plug, but eventually changed the oil pan all together.

I removed the tank, side covers, battery and oil, layed the bike down on a couple of tires so I could work on the bottom of the engine to replace the oil pan:

[IMG

[IMG

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
13 May 2013 14:20 #587187 by jsantana
Great recommendations fellas. I start the search for an oil pan in decent condish.