more jetting discussion!

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Apr 2013 01:54 #583909 by jonarmstrong
more jetting discussion! was created by jonarmstrong
Read where patton said stepping up on pilot jets would help with backfire on decel. I've stepped up from 37.5 to 42.5 and bike really likes the extra fuel but it does pop on decel. Checked my plugs and they are darker than they should be, not totally black, and my pipe is sutted (sp?). I feel like I'm already a little rich and should go to the 40's. Any ideas?

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2013 04:23 - 25 Apr 2013 04:26 #583920 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic more jetting discussion!
You can also get decel pops from a vacuum leak or anything that causes a lean condition. If you have pods or reduced baffle exhaust it can make it lean. Another thing is to make sure the fuel levels in the bowl are correct (clear tube) a low one will make it pop from running lean.

You could try going up anotjher size on the pilots too, but make sure everything else is in order first.

This part:

and bike really likes the extra fuel

makes me wonder if it's still too lean. On my twin, when you go too rich on the pilots it starts to "surge" and run off. If you are still getting improved performance, you may not be there yet.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 25 Apr 2013 04:26 by bountyhunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonarmstrong

More
25 Apr 2013 07:08 #583927 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic more jetting discussion!
Make sure the emissions ports are not leaking air. That will cause backfiring on decel. So will any exhaust leak near the head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonarmstrong

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Apr 2013 09:19 #583943 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic more jetting discussion!
Bountyhunter- wouldn't my plugs show lean if it was? Also, my dad was behind me last weekend and said he saw a little smoke when I was getting on it hard. I've only put about 500 miles on a re-ring so could that be my smoke? And loudhvx- with my exhaust I made I could have a little leak! :whistle:

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

More
25 Apr 2013 17:05 #583999 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic more jetting discussion!
Two sizes up on the pilot jets is quite a bit, I would go with the #40. Yes you will still be smoking at 500 miles. Mine usually stop using oil at about 1000 miles after engine re-build.