Oil in #3 Intake Runnner - Opinions **pics added**

More
26 Apr 2013 12:05 #584098 by baldy110
FYI, out of synch carbs will not make a valve seal go bad. They go bad with time, lots of miles and/or lack of frequent oil changes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2013 12:53 #584111 by DesertKZ

baldy110 wrote: FYI, out of synch carbs will not make a valve seal go bad. They go bad with time, lots of miles and/or lack of frequent oil changes.

Cool, thanks for the input. Weird coincidence indeed then.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

More
27 Apr 2013 11:15 - 27 Apr 2013 11:16 #584254 by LarryC
You could leave the valve seals completely out of a head with good guide to stem fit and not have oil gushing into the chamber.....

Larry C.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2013 11:16 by LarryC.

More
27 Apr 2013 12:03 #584262 by DesertKZ

LarryC wrote: You could leave the valve seals completely out of a head with good guide to stem fit and not have oil gushing into the chamber.....

Thanks Larry. Do you think bad rings could push oil all the way out to the carbs? Because that's where I found a puddle of engine oil, in the carb boot.

FYI I am bringing the cylinders, pistons and head to our local machine shop next week for surgery.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

More
27 Apr 2013 15:53 - 27 Apr 2013 15:55 #584274 by LarryC

DesertKZ wrote:

LarryC wrote: You could leave the valve seals completely out of a head with good guide to stem fit and not have oil gushing into the chamber.....

Thanks Larry. Do you think bad rings could push oil all the way out to the carbs? Because that's where I found a puddle of engine oil, in the carb boot.

FYI I am bringing the cylinders, pistons and head to our local machine shop next week for surgery.

It's not common for oil to be all the way back to the carbs. The bike must have smoked something awful... Perhaps you have a loose guide bore in the head and oil is sucking right down around the guide itself. Generally if it's piston related, it blows it out the pipe. An overlapped oil control ring will load the cylinder with oil and blow it out the pipe.

Larry C.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2013 15:55 by LarryC.

More
29 Apr 2013 19:45 - 20 May 2013 19:57 #584724 by DesertKZ

LarryC wrote:

DesertKZ wrote:

It's not common for oil to be all the way back to the carbs. The bike must have smoked something awful... Perhaps you have a loose guide bore in the head and oil is sucking right down around the guide itself. Generally if it's piston related, it blows it out the pipe. An overlapped oil control ring will load the cylinder with oil and blow it out the pipe.

Disassembled the head today. Guides looked good, valves themselves seemed tight in the guides. Valve seals were intact but very hard, some crumbled including that #3 I was having trouble with. Right before I tore it all apart it was smoking pretty bad.

*****UPDATE*****
Just for future reference I figure I'd update. The #3 carb was improperly adjusted (synced). The slide was closed too far, which caused an enormous vacuum inside the intake, which ultimately drew the oil down through the intake valve ruining the seal. The seals have been replaced, carb resynced and all is well again. Thanks again.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker
Last edit: 20 May 2013 19:57 by DesertKZ.