base gasket..

More
24 Apr 2013 00:30 #583786 by brianrae33
base gasket.. was created by brianrae33
complete head rebuild...fresh hone and rings...runs fantastic..now the questions..head an oil leak in the front part of the engine..right where the cam chain galley oring would be..ordered new head gasket and oring..oring seemed like it was pinched up on one side..not in the little grove..head is not warped..does this sound reasonable?? and being that the motor was run should i worry about the base gasket..seemed like alittle oil weeped out after a had removed the head..sorry for the long post and any input is greatly appreciated..

1982 kz1000ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2013 00:45 #583788 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic base gasket..
and just to mention it was a very small amout of oil from the front to motor studs...which i beleive are oil journals...just hoping it wont need replaced and will stop once the head is on and retorqued..

1982 kz1000ltd

More
24 Apr 2013 22:57 #583878 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic base gasket..
This may not apply to your situation, but when I pulled the head off my engine (more than once), oil seeped from the base gasket in the front corners each time. It didn't matter how carefully the head was separated from the cylinder, it happened every #@$% time.
Rather than take a chance, the base gasket was replaced to avoid the potential of having to do the whole process over again with another set of new, expensive gaskets. I installed it dry each time.
It also gave me the opportunity to examine the pistons, rings, etc...
:cheer:

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: brianrae33, wireman