renew secondary chain refresh

More
23 Apr 2013 22:23 #583769 by Britbiker
renew secondary chain refresh was created by Britbiker
Can any one advice or help , I have a 81 kz750 ,10 years ago the previuos owner put on a new chain ,he never ran the bike due to his ill health ,it is sollid,due you think I could soak it with kerosine and old oil ? boil it or what ever ? ,

Please help one ,
Thanks Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2013 22:57 #583770 by FlickeredOne
Replied by FlickeredOne on topic renew secondary chain refresh
I would try to soak it in something like PBlaster or something of the like to start. Many people rave about KROIL available from the manufacturer WWW.KANOLABS.COM . Then I would go to used motor oil or a chain dressing to finish it up. Best of luck!

'77 KZ 650 B1 / '74 Harley SX 125

More
23 Apr 2013 23:14 #583772 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic renew secondary chain refresh
If the drive chain has "O" rings,be careful of what you're going to use to soak the chain, as some oils are not compatable with "O" rings. I'd look at the chain manufacturers websites, and see what they recommend.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Apr 2013 00:22 #583784 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic renew secondary chain refresh
Why soak it with anything; what are you trying to accomplish? Has it been sitting out in the weather for 10 years and is it rusted? If so, it's toast. Otherwise just lube it with chain lube. If you boil it or soak it with kerosene or other chemicals the kerosene or whatever you use will get into the rollers and you will not be able to purge it all out, so it will ruin the chain. If you use chain lube it will not hurt the chain. I happen to use Maxima Chain Wax, but there are other good brands out there. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
24 Apr 2013 02:25 #583792 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic renew secondary chain refresh
I agree with 650'd there is no need to waste your time with that rusty old piece of rusted crap, find a new one, oil it. Or you could change the oil on the engine and let it soak in there for a day or two although hot oil would work better and spend your time on some other maintenance on the bike who knows if it is worth your time.