tach cable oil leak

More
22 Apr 2013 21:53 #583615 by hydrolazer
tach cable oil leak was created by hydrolazer
i got an oil leak where the tach cable screws into the head. everything is tight and not loose. do i need a new cable or is there an o ring or something going out?,,,tia,,,hydro

\'79 kaw 1000 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2013 22:04 #583616 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic tach cable oil leak

hydrolazer wrote: i got an oil leak where the tach cable screws into the head. everything is tight and not loose. do i need a new cable or is there an o ring or something going out?,,,tia,,,hydro

1 EA of following parts #s

92065-103 Gasket
92055-1149 Oring
92050-075 oil seal

all available from Z1 Enterprises.

1984 750 Turbo

More
22 Apr 2013 22:48 #583622 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic tach cable oil leak
Here's a pic for the KZ650; your bike is probably the same, but check the part numbers to be sure.

[IMG

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Apr 2013 00:58 - 23 Apr 2013 00:59 #583652 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic tach cable oil leak
With tach drive cable detached, there should be no oil leakage at the tach drive unit in the head.

Where oil leakage appears in vicinity of the tach drive unit in the head, it is usually due to a failed o'ring or seal. Z1E carries both very inexpensive items.

The o'ring fits around the tach drive housing to prevent oil from escaping around the tach housing.

The seal fits inside the tach housing where the seal surrounds the tach drive shaft and prevents oil from escaping along the shaft as the shaft spins inside the housing.

Where the tach drive shaft seal is leaking and allowing oil to escape through the seal, it may be possible to contain the escaping oil within the tach drive cable sheath by assuring a leak-free connection where the cable attaches to the tach housing. And while this may temporarily contain the escaped oil inside the cable instead of being allowed to drip onto the engine, it doesn't resolve the leaking seal issue.

A new seal and o-ring in the tach drive should eliminate any leakage around or through the tach drive.
The seal is a small circular rubber ring affair with a tiny coiled spring around it.

The old seal may be encrusted, hardened and almost petrified, requiring careful removal by picking it out in tiny chunks. Be certain to get all of the old seal removed, so the new seal can properly seat in its position.
A dental pick or similar tool is handy to scratch out the remains.
A good light and magnifying glass is also helpful.

A properly functioning and sealed tach drive should not leak whatever, even without the tach cable attached.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Apr 2013 00:59 by Patton.