KZ200 Oil Filter

• helpermonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Apr 2013 19:20 #583591 by helpermonkey
KZ200 Oil Filter was created by helpermonkey
I have ordered a service manual for this bike but have not received it yet. I looked on ebay for an oil filter for my KZ200 and they all show a cartridge/pleated style filter. My local dealer is insisting that it is a cased style screw on type. Getting confused here as the dealer wants almost $10.00. I do not want to order the incorrect filter off of ebay and have to go through the hassle of sending it back. Thanks again in advance for any help. This is a great forum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2013 19:41 - 23 Apr 2013 09:45 #583594 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic KZ200 Oil Filter
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationFrom the diagrams at Kawasaki.com & Partzilla, the oil filter is the typical KZ cartridge type (not screw on).
I didn't see one listed at Z1Enterprises.com, so if they don't have the item, they can probably get it.

Kawasaki part number: 16099-004 .... Models: 177 including the 2005 KLR650.

Wix = 24951 Fram may make one as well.

Last edit: 23 Apr 2013 09:45 by martin_csr.

More
22 Apr 2013 20:48 #583599 by KraZyRIDER
Replied by KraZyRIDER on topic KZ200 Oil Filter

helpermonkey wrote: I have ordered a service manual for this bike but have not received it yet. I looked on ebay for an oil filter for my KZ200 and they all show a cartridge/pleated style filter. My local dealer is insisting that it is a cased style screw on type. Getting confused here as the dealer wants almost $10.00. I do not want to order the incorrect filter off of ebay and have to go through the hassle of sending it back. Thanks again in advance for any help. This is a great forum.

...am I missing something here? Can't you see the filter, or filter housing? One is pretty obvious from the other. The ladder could be either a protruding aluminum housing with a bolt going through it's center, or a round plate with a bolt in the center underneath the engine. While the former would be a smooth, can like looking object that usually has some writing on it, identifying what it is, part number and brand. A spin on.

...I'm not speaking from experience, because I've never even seen a KZ200, but I have changed oil on quite a few different brands of motorcycle and the filter is usually pretty obvious, unless it's inside the engine. In which case you would look for a round plate underneath the engine. Or, just wait until you get your NEW Owners Manual. ;)

Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

• helpermonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Apr 2013 20:56 #583600 by helpermonkey
Replied by helpermonkey on topic KZ200 Oil Filter

KraZyRIDER wrote:

helpermonkey wrote: I have ordered a service manual for this bike but have not received it yet. I looked on ebay for an oil filter for my KZ200 and they all show a cartridge/pleated style filter. My local dealer is insisting that it is a cased style screw on type. Getting confused here as the dealer wants almost $10.00. I do not want to order the incorrect filter off of ebay and have to go through the hassle of sending it back. Thanks again in advance for any help. This is a great forum.

...am I missing something here? Can't you see the filter, or filter housing? One is pretty obvious from the other. The ladder could be either a protruding aluminum housing with a bolt going through it's center, or a round plate with a bolt in the center underneath the engine. While the former would be a smooth, can like looking object that usually has some writing on it, identifying what it is, part number and brand. A spin on.

...I'm not speaking from experience, because I've never even seen a KZ200, but I have changed oil on quite a few different brands of motorcycle and the filter is usually pretty obvious, unless it's inside the engine. In which case you would look for a round plate underneath the engine. Or, just wait until you get your NEW Owners Manual. ;)

The filter is inside the right engine cover. There is no handy little plate to remove. You need to remove the whole right side engine cover to access the filter. I was hoping to have the filter in hand before removing this cover as it entails replacing the gasket as well ($20.00 a shot).

More
22 Apr 2013 21:01 - 22 Apr 2013 21:02 #583602 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ200 Oil Filter

Take your bike to the dealer and have him try to find that "screw-on" filter on the bike. It would be great if you can get a video of him looking for it. ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 22 Apr 2013 21:02 by 650ed.

• helpermonkey
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Apr 2013 21:22 #583610 by helpermonkey
Replied by helpermonkey on topic KZ200 Oil Filter

650ed wrote:

Take your bike to the dealer and have him try to find that "screw-on" filter on the bike. It would be great if you can get a video of him looking for it. ;)

"Factory Trained" doesn't always mean that they know what they are doing.

More
22 Apr 2013 22:07 #583617 by KraZyRIDER

helpermonkey wrote:

KraZyRIDER wrote:

The filter is inside the right engine cover. There is no handy little plate to remove. You need to remove the whole right side engine cover to access the filter. I was hoping to have the filter in hand before removing this cover as it entails replacing the gasket as well ($20.00 a shot).

...hearing that, no way it's a spin on. :)

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

More
22 Apr 2013 22:08 #583618 by KraZyRIDER

650ed wrote:

...yeh, I'd PAY to see that! :laugh:

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

More
23 Apr 2013 00:52 #583651 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ200 Oil Filter
Click > KZ200 manusl

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD