O-Rings around the cyl studs

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kick it like you mean it
More
21 Apr 2013 14:00 #583436 by spudbudy
O-Rings around the cyl studs was created by spudbudy
Hello Gang, I've tried to search this topic and remember seeing something about i but can no longer find it. I've been putting my kz650 back together and replaceing the gaskets and assorted o-rings after sending the head out to APE for some vavle work. On the lower end under the cylinder jugs, I think there was 2 o-rings around the engine studs. Not the oil ports I have those, I can't remember if they went around the two front center studs or maybe they weren't there at all. I have 2 o-rings left in the package and the size suggests that they would fit. Can't find it in the service manual I have. I want to make sure before I torque it all together if I need them or not.?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this puzzle.

Bob

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2013 16:00 #583444 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic O-Rings around the cyl studs
I see the 2 o-rings (marked #4 in the diagram) but I cannot tell where they go. I did not see them referenced in the service manual. Maybe someone who has pulled the cylinders on a KZ650 can identify where they go? Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-04-21.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
24 Apr 2013 19:14 #583859 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic O-Rings around the cyl studs
Anybody....... I think this is something I didn't see and its about got me sick. Was last summer and I'll be damned if I can picture removing them so maybe I left the old ones but after the scraping and cleaning I just don't know.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• spudbudy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kick it like you mean it
More
24 Apr 2013 19:59 #583865 by spudbudy
Replied by spudbudy on topic O-Rings around the cyl studs
Well I torn it down again had terrible compression on cyl #2. After looking closely @ the I have decided that they belong on the #3 cylinder side towards the cam chain opening front and back. Or the 3rd pair of studs from the outside of #4. They seem to fit around the studs that look sunken just alittle bit. They fit flush with the base gasket, So I'm leaving them there. Can't see what they do so I see no harm in leaving them in place.

78 KZ 650B2. Vetter faring, Dyna S, Dyna Green coils, WG coil mod,AGM Battery, VM26SS carbs, Pilot jet 15, mains 110, jet clip #2 shimmed position, Modified stock air box, stock air filter, Kerker 4 into 1 with stock baffle. currently 48,785 miles. :-) and climbing daily.:-)