Spring Carb Question

More
20 Apr 2013 19:04 #583339 by KZ802
Spring Carb Question was created by KZ802
Hi Guys,
I'm pretty sure I just need to pull off my carbs again and clean them better, but...
I couldn't commit to stopping riding my 1980 kz750LTD last winter since we had good weather later than expected. Then we got bad weather, and I hadn't winterized. So we just started getting some warm weather again and I started getting ready to ride again. The bike ran good last year. So today I drained the gas from the tank and put some new gas in. (a little to see if it would start.) It did start with the choke on, but was running really rough. I got some seafoam and dumped that in thinking maybe I could get by without having to take off the carbs to clean them, etc. Running the seafoam through blew out some white smoke and seemed to help a bit, but it will still only run with the choke on. When I turn off the choke it slows down until it dies. Revving doesn't really help when it's dieing. Running with the choke on I can snap the throttle and it will revv right up. So I'm thinking I should take off the carbs and clean them, focusing on the pilot jet circuit, since it seems like idle to low throttle is the problem. Does this sound right?

1980 KZ750 LTDx2
1978 KZ1000 LTD
1976 KZ900 A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2013 17:11 #583450 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic Spring Carb Question
Yeah,you could TRY to unscrew the Pilot Screws and TRY to spray out the passage-ways.Or you could just do it right the first time,and save yourself from doing it again next week.Take 'em off,take 'em appart,get an o-ring kit,and remember to drain -n dry it out this November.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.