Kz750-4 engine overhaul... need some tips!

More
19 Apr 2013 16:26 #583121 by NickMac
I just picked up a 1981 kz750-4 on the craiglist for $200. My plan was to refurb the motor and maybe do some light mods and stick it in my kz650 frame.

Engine has 29000 miles (per odometer) and turns over easily at the crank with spark plugs installed and hasnt run in 10 years. I plan to replace the upper gaskets, clean the pistons, replace rings, replace valve springs/ valve job. I want to do this before i try to start the motor just for good measure. This is more of a project and learning experience for me as opposed to a i just need it running scenario. And yes i do have a factory service manual.

My question(s) are:
1) is there anything in the top-end I have missed that the gurus would recommend doing?

2) I really don't want to split the cases unless I know there is a problem (unknowable until I run the engine), so is there anything I should do besides changing the oil on the bottom end for good measure?

any input is appreciated and thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2013 16:51 #583124 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic Kz750-4 engine overhaul... need some tips!
I wouldn't do any of that. I'd change the oil, check the valve clearances and compression and if they are within spec I'd run it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
19 Apr 2013 17:08 #583126 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kz750-4 engine overhaul... need some tips!

Lorcan wrote: I wouldn't do any of that. I'd change the oil, check the valve clearances and compression and if they are within spec I'd run it.

+1 The only thing I might do is pull the oil pan off and check the oil pump screen just in case. See kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/583034-i-thin...n-my-oil-pump#583034

If you really feel compelled to pull the valve cover you might want to splash some oil on the cam lobs before closing it up, but I really wouldn't pull the head and fiddle with the rings, etc. unless something seems wrong after running it for a few miles. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Apr 2013 17:38 #583132 by NickMac
Replied by NickMac on topic Kz750-4 engine overhaul... need some tips!
Far enough. So you guys don't think there is anything more than normal maintenance (oil/filter, valve clearance, etc) I should do before trying to start it?

More
19 Apr 2013 17:49 #583135 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kz750-4 engine overhaul... need some tips!
I guess the only other thing would be put in fresh spark plugs and while they are out spritz a little oil on the cylinder walls if you can figure out a way to do it. Those cylinder wall are probably pretty dry after 10 years. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Apr 2013 20:38 #583169 by NickMac
Replied by NickMac on topic Kz750-4 engine overhaul... need some tips!
assume thanks ed.

-nick

More
19 Apr 2013 21:46 #583182 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Kz750-4 engine overhaul... need some tips!

Lorcan wrote: I wouldn't do any of that. I'd change the oil, check the valve clearances and compression and if they are within spec I'd run it.

As usual, Lorcan is correct :laugh:

If you don't do that, then you may spend a bunch of time and money on the top end, only to find a major problem in the bottom end.

KD9JUR