Cant anything just work out?

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Apr 2013 09:24 #582938 by Kitten Tooth
Cant anything just work out? was created by Kitten Tooth
Torqued down all the valve cover bolts to 90 in lbs (YES INCH POUNDS!!) Accordingly to the manual. Went around all of them and torqued them down in a pattern from inside to out. I decided not to use any sealant around the cam end caps. I got the aluminum ones with the bits of O-ring so we will see what happens. If they leak i suppose itll be an excuse to remove the valve cover and re-tap this stupid hole that let go of its threads. Its the hole that the bolt goes through for the front cam end over cylinder 1. The bolt just went in and kept spinning.. didnt even try to tighten down. I was able to pull the bolt out with my fingers and guess what, it had threads still.. all wrapped around the bolt :D So im going to head down the fastenal today and get another bolt (same diameter) and a nylock nut for it to go on the bottom. I wonder.. when i do finally re-tap the hole.. what would you guys recommend? Hela-coil or just a different size thread?

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2013 09:27 #582939 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cant anything just work out?
Time-Sert.

www.timesert.com/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Apr 2013 17:40 #582976 by Kraz1

More
18 Apr 2013 22:59 #583020 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Cant anything just work out?

650ed wrote: Time-Sert.

www.timesert.com/

+3 B)

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

More
18 Apr 2013 23:56 - 19 Apr 2013 00:02 #583030 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Cant anything just work out?

elfmagic17 wrote:

650ed wrote: Time-Sert.

www.timesert.com/

+3 B)

+4 but the cost of the kit will probably lead you to one of two solutions. Either tap it to 1/2-28 or helicoil it. There are inexpensive helicoil kits everywhere to be had.

I just had to go with 1/4-28 helioils on all the exhaust cam bolt holes in a KZ head that someone butchered a 6mm helicoil job in..... There was just enough metal left to do that.

PS...use 1/4 drive socket and small wratchet on things like that Tim. You have a feel for what's going on then. You won't with a torque wrench. Technically, yes, everything should be torqued but there are exceptions to be made. A valve cover on an old motor is a good example.

Larry C.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2013 00:02 by LarryC.

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Apr 2013 01:48 #583042 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic Cant anything just work out?
someone once told me a few turns past finger tight was good.. like 2 and a half. All the others torqued down perfect.. just that one gave me trouble. Im going to get a smaller diameter bolt that is longer to go all the way through and stick a nut on the other end for now. Ill look into purchasing one of them kits for sure.. unless it leaks and i pull the valve cover off again. Also, i kinda used carb cleaner on the top end to clean all the gasket surfaces.. i fear i have washed the oil away on some of the parts (cam, shims, etc.) and i forgot to give everything a healthy douse in oil before installing the cover. Is there any way to pre-lube a motor before startup? I was thinking maybe pull the plugs and wind the motor over for a bit before actually starting it. Any suggestions?

I love you guys,
KT :D

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!