Metal in the Crankcase

More
14 Apr 2013 12:38 #582265 by nivlac
Metal in the Crankcase was created by nivlac
After cleaning the top of the crankcase and removing the gasket at the base of the cylinders. Which I removed with scrapers, a Dremel attachment, and steelwool (therein lies the problem)particles of the steel wool primarily have fallen into my crankcase after pulling out the cloth that I had stuffed into the cylinders and around the pistons. The particles are sticking to the edges of the crank assembly and what ever else has oil on it, which is everything. I just removed my oil pan, and I have not yet looked but I'm thinking I have a clear through shot from top to bottom as far as the crankcase clearance goes. I'm thinking maybe some kind of degreaser and blowing off with air. I'd like some feedback. Also looking at the pan gasket, I'm wondering what is the best way to remove it without gouging or otherwise damaging the surface. It is a pretty substantial gasket.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2013 13:07 #582270 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Metal in the Crankcase
:ohmy: Steel wool?
Try combing over the suspected areas with a strong magnet, and I'd hesitate to blow the steel particles all over the motor interior with compressed air.
Use a lot of patience, and a good scraper with no burrs on the edge for gasket removal. NO WIRE WHEELS!

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: nivlac

More
14 Apr 2013 21:34 #582330 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Metal in the Crankcase
If all else fails, you could try washing down with mineral spirits. I would never get a good night's sleep again thinking there was steel wool in my oil system. :blink:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
14 Apr 2013 21:46 #582336 by 3cav84a
Replied by 3cav84a on topic Metal in the Crankcase
Get yourself one of those really strong rare earth magnets, that should do it.

1977 KZ 1000 A1

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
14 Apr 2013 22:00 #582342 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Metal in the Crankcase
Spray it down really good with solvent,if you think theres any doubt about it change your oil after about 50 miles . :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
15 Apr 2013 08:38 #582423 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Metal in the Crankcase
Steel wool is the worst. For every bit you can see, there is probably 3 times as much that you can't.

Larry C.

More
16 Apr 2013 09:32 #582643 by nivlac
Replied by nivlac on topic Metal in the Crankcase
I appreciate the comments mechanical as well as historical. I have rinsed out the crankcase about 10 or 12 times each time with the crank in a different location and I am pretty sure it has cleared the situation up. I am looking for a "Rare Earth" drain plug. If any one has a line on one I'd appreciate it.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

More
16 Apr 2013 10:45 #582648 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic Metal in the Crankcase
Vacuum, magnet, then wash down w kerosene or diesel. They are oily enough to leave some lubrication. Once u get it washed out good from top be sure to clean ur pickup screen. Also read on here somewhere a sharpened piece of plexy-glass works real well for removing gasket material wo gouging ur aluminum

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n