Impact Driver from friend to foe

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
07 Apr 2013 22:05 #581097 by Killman
Impact Driver from friend to foe was created by Killman
Tearing down my carbs, (at least that's the plan) for some general cleaning, polishing and checking. Also going to install a 3 stage kit. Figured it'd take a couple of hours. Started around noon Saturday.

Shows what I know. Everything was going along swell until thos Godd@%#$d freakin' oatmeal screws on one of my float bowls decided to do their level best impersonation of a fine French cheese. Then the ones on both holding plates decided that if the float bowls got to stay put, well then they'd be damned if they were going to move.

A day and a half later, after most of a can of Seafoam Deep Creep, numerous and exhuberant applications of the torch and some WWF-worthy beatdowns with my trusty impact driver, I'm down to 2 final screws on the back of that one stinking float bowl, (pant pant). Damn things are just behind enough of a ridge that I can't get a good grip on them with channel locks, pliers or magic goddamned missiles.

And now my old chum, my soulmate, my bosom buddy through thick and thin, My MotherF#$%ING impact driver has decided that it's not going to let me change bits for the final charge into the breach. :angry:

I am defeated. Screw the world and the screws it rode in on! It's officially beer o'clock.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2013 22:10 - 07 Apr 2013 22:15 #581098 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Impact Driver from friend to foe
Remember - they are not Phillips screws; they are JIS screws (see link below). Also, Kroil is our friend. Soak stubborn fasteners with Kroil for 2 days and they come our without much drama. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/532335-budget...ewdriver-tips#532335

Attachment 00000_2013-04-07.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Apr 2013 22:15 by 650ed.

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Apr 2013 22:20 - 07 Apr 2013 22:30 #581103 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Impact Driver from friend to foe
Thanks Ed. I'm pretty sure you're the one that told me about the JIS a couple of years ago. I'm using the right drivers. I also ordered some Kroil earlier this afternoon. Should get here in about a week or so. :laugh:

I'm more choked about not being able to get the bit out of my manual impact driver.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack
Last edit: 07 Apr 2013 22:30 by Killman.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
09 Apr 2013 08:41 #581350 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Impact Driver from friend to foe
If all of the penetrating oil, JIS screwdriver bits, and impact drivers fail, take a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and cut a nice straight slot in that screw head. Then you should be able to use a flat blade screwdriver to loosen that stuck screw. Be careful not to cut into your float bowl.

Replace those cruddy JIS screws with socket head capscrews for future conveinience.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Apr 2013 00:01 #582216 by Killman
OK Ed, the Kroil got here and I've squirted some on the screws. Question, should I just put some into some sort of container and immerse the stuck areas entirely? Or reapply more Kroil at intervals?

Testarossa, if this stuff doesn't work, what's to stop those soft screwheads from just shredding away after I've slotted them with a dremel?

Thanks guys, I'm gonna go put some Kroil in my impact drivers bit-hole now :sick:

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
14 Apr 2013 00:24 #582219 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Impact Driver from friend to foe

Killman wrote: OK Ed, the Kroil got here and I've squirted some on the screws. Question, should I just put some into some sort of container and immerse the stuck areas entirely? Or reapply more Kroil at intervals?

Testarossa, if this stuff doesn't work, what's to stop those soft screwheads from just shredding away after I've slotted them with a dremel?

Thanks guys, I'm gonna go put some Kroil in my impact drivers bit-hole now :sick:

I just wet the area a with Kroil a few times a day (like in the morning, at dinnertime, and before bed). I have done that over a period of 2 or 3 days for fasteners that were really stuck and then when I gave them a try they loosened up. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Apr 2013 09:41 #582253 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Impact Driver from friend to foe
I perfer to use my craftsman battery impact to remove stuborn screws. The impact takes them right out everytime. Just make sure you really push on the impact driver so it dont slip. also wouldnt reccomend using it to reinstall screws, removing only.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
14 Apr 2013 11:53 - 14 Apr 2013 12:48 #582259 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Impact Driver from friend to foe
I would be a bit leery about using a an impact on carburetors. I would be scared of cracking the carb body. Saver yourself some grief for the next time, and replace these screws with allen head stainless steel equivalents.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 14 Apr 2013 12:48 by KZJOE900.

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Apr 2013 15:39 #582275 by Killman
I've got the SS Allen Heads all ready to go. Just need to get these last two little b@$+@^ds out...

The heads are just too soft to take a bit. I don't want to have to drill them out. I think I'm gonna have to get a new impact driver, too. Blast and bother.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

• Killman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Apr 2013 04:33 #582769 by Killman
All right, the screws are out. Ended up using a chisel.

And the Pine Sol soak worked like MAGIC!!! So clean it's not even funny, they look almost new.

Just have to find the time to put them back together with the new innards; install the new fuel, vacuum and overflow lines with catch can; and then get the whole shebang running right.

Gonna be interesting with just one compression gauge, any advice would be welcome.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
19 Apr 2013 14:16 #583111 by geohaydook1
Replied by geohaydook1 on topic Impact Driver from friend to foe
:ohmy: After all these years... JIS? Who knew?

1980 KZ750e
1981 KZ650 csr (fate undecided)