clutch issue help, im stumped.

More
05 Apr 2013 07:54 #580662 by dsmking
clutch issue help, im stumped. was created by dsmking
Bike:1980 kz1k ltd.

Last season I had an issue with the clutch not engageing when I pulled in the lever, I just recently started working on the bike again and
It's time to figure out what's up, so I was messing with it yesterday adjusting the nut and screw that puts pressure on the clutch rod and nothing would work, when I put the bike back together I started it up and (I know this is not good) pulled in the clutch lever and slaped it into gear , bike lurches forward and dies , did this a few times and after about the forth try it all of a sudden worked, I could pull in the lever put it in gear and the bike would not move ??? I had a few things to do to it and took the chain off for a good cleaning, had to take side cover off for the front sprocket, and after I was done I put it back to gether and now I have the same problem??? A little insight on whats up would be amazing, thanks guys.

live fast die young.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2013 09:00 #580671 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic clutch issue help, im stumped.

dsmking wrote: Bike:1980 kz1k ltd.

Last season I had an issue with the clutch not engageing when I pulled in the lever, I just recently started working on the bike again and
It's time to figure out what's up, so I was messing with it yesterday adjusting the nut and screw that puts pressure on the clutch rod and nothing would work, when I put the bike back together I started it up and (I know this is not good) pulled in the clutch lever and slaped it into gear , bike lurches forward and dies , did this a few times and after about the forth try it all of a sudden worked, I could pull in the lever put it in gear and the bike would not move ??? I had a few things to do to it and took the chain off for a good cleaning, had to take side cover off for the front sprocket, and after I was done I put it back to gether and now I have the same problem??? A little insight on whats up would be amazing, thanks guys.

Sometimes what can happen is the constant long term force from the clutch not being used can actually "squeeze" the oil out from between the clutch friction plates causing them to stick to the driven plates. The only solution is to disassemble the clutch, coat the plates with fresh oil and you will be all set. It's always a good idea to start your bikes up and run them ocassionally to keep everything inside the engine and trans "wet"

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

More
05 Apr 2013 10:43 #580683 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic clutch issue help, im stumped.
What Polar Bus said is correct. Your clutch plates are just sticking together. Mine do that after the bike sits a while. Sounds like yours is pretty bad, so you need to remove and lightly sand the steel clutch plates. 400 grit is fine, but really clean them off before you reinstall. When you reassemble the plates, have them wet with trans oil.

After that, just follow the clutch adjustment procedure in the service manual. Make sure you clean and lube the cable and have plenty of slack before adjusting the clutch release mechanism.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
05 Apr 2013 13:55 #580712 by dsmking
Replied by dsmking on topic clutch issue help, im stumped.
Thanks fellas ill dig into that and see what I get.

live fast die young.

More
05 Apr 2013 14:09 #580714 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic clutch issue help, im stumped.
Also, try this - with the engine turned off and the bike in first gear, pull the clutch lever in and hold it in while you rock the bike back and forth on the ground. If the clutch plates are stuck together doing this will often break them free. My old BSA had a racing clutch with aluminum plates, and I had to perform this ritual every morning. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Apr 2013 17:07 #580737 by dsmking
Replied by dsmking on topic clutch issue help, im stumped.
Haha I did that for a half hour lol this mourning I got it to break free again , I think it just needs to be ridden :/ carbs are geting refreshed this weekend, hope fully i will get it back running good, this bike hasn't gone for a real ride since be for I was born lol

live fast die young.