NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims?

More
04 Apr 2013 21:24 #580593 by KZCafeRacer
NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims? was created by KZCafeRacer
In the process of rebuilding my head for the 3rd time in 4 months (I'm not very smart) and this time, to MAKE SURE everything goes well I spent way too much money and bought a NOS head, and new springs and valves (once again, not very smart and now with less money).

Something that has confused me is what size shims I should install. I'm pretty sure I need valve shims (correct?), but since the engine is essentially new, can't I install some baseline/stock shims? Or do I need to just install everything without shims and measure the gap like a normal test, then go out and buy the necessary thicknesses?

The camshafts are NOT new in any way, they are my original 1982 shafts.

Thanks for your input

1982 KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2013 21:49 #580597 by steell
Replied by steell on topic NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims?
This would be so much easier if I had a clue what model of KZ you have.
Maybe you should either add it to your sig, or put it in every post.

If you have a 900/1000, then it has shims on top of the bucket, and you don't want to assemble it without shims cause you'll likely damage the cams.

Just put in the smallest shims you have, then assemble it and measure the clearances to determine what new shims you'll need. DO NOT DO THIS WITH THE HEAD FLAT ON THE BENCH, bent valves will result.

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
04 Apr 2013 22:04 #580600 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims?
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.
It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.
And may be changed whenever and as often as desired.
If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do. Here's how:

Attachment addsig.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2013 00:57 #580640 by steell
Replied by steell on topic NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims?

Patton wrote: Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.

And it keeps me from posting grumpy responses.

KD9JUR

More
05 Apr 2013 05:35 - 05 Apr 2013 05:36 #580656 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims?
The last N.O.S. head I dealt with was a KZ900. Out of the box it needed the valve job finished. The 45 cut was huge. So look yours over before you assemble it, even if it's not a 900.

If the valve job is ready to go [out of the box], start with 250 shims across the board for first check. That should put you in the ballpark with measurable clearances.

Larry C.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2013 05:36 by LarryC.

More
06 Apr 2013 14:52 #580883 by KZCafeRacer
Replied by KZCafeRacer on topic NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims?
My mistake, I [strike]thought [/strike]assumed that my "stats" were displayed under my username like all the other forums I belong to. Will add to my signature. In the meantime:

1982 KZ650

I got it all assembled last night and measured all the gaps - without any shims - at 65mm across the board. Sooooooo I guess a 250 shim?

1982 KZ650

More
06 Apr 2013 16:26 #580893 by geobass
Replied by geobass on topic NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims?
Couldn't you use the shims from the old head to check clearances?

More
06 Apr 2013 17:02 #580902 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims?

KZCafeRacer wrote: My mistake, I [strike]thought [/strike]assumed that my "stats" were displayed under my username like all the other forums I belong to. Will add to my signature. In the meantime:

1982 KZ650

I got it all assembled last night and measured all the gaps - without any shims - at 65mm across the board. Sooooooo I guess a 250 shim?

Measuring without shims won't tell you much since the shims sit in a recess. I like Geobass's idea of using your old shims to get a measurement, then adjust from there. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Apr 2013 17:22 #580906 by LarryC
When the old Kaws cam in for first service, most everything had about a 260 shim from the factory.

Larry C.

More
07 Apr 2013 17:40 #581052 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims?
Larry have you ever had any of the 900s come in that have no 45 on the exhaust seat? Quite a few must have gotten out of the factory like that.

More
15 Apr 2013 20:20 #582543 by KZCafeRacer
Replied by KZCafeRacer on topic NOS Head and New Springs, What Shims?
Threw in the old shims (which were already close to stock) and measured/adjusted. Seems all good. Thanks for helping me with that question.

1982 KZ650

More
16 Apr 2013 08:05 #582633 by LarryC

APE Jay wrote: Larry have you ever had any of the 900s come in that have no 45 on the exhaust seat? Quite a few must have gotten out of the factory like that.

Can't recall the exhaust Jay. I remember the 45 on the intakes was about 5 times the width of the stock valve face. Kaw H
ot Line tech (Randy Davis) told me the factory did valve job off the guide bore...then put guides in later...

Made no sense to me....

Larry C.