May need to replace stator rotor - Oil Debri

More
04 Apr 2013 18:58 #580581 by mikoarts
Hey guys / gal - during my usual oil change on my kz1000 st '79 , 30k approx, -

I found some gnarly chunks of plastic packed into the indention on the oil-drain plug.

After a little google-work, I found a thread which describes what I found frighteningly well -

www.kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/377117-id...l=component&type=raw

I haven't opened the case at all. The engine's currently running great. I probably found, in the oil, a total of 1/2 inch of this plasticky stuff - (assuming a lot, here, I know). So my main question is,

How bad is this, and if it is the rotor-magnets failing, (am I stating that correctly?), what's the first thing I should be looking for on eBay to prepare for servicing this? From what I'm seeing, there's the stator (seems to be the parts with coils and is stationary), which is entirely different than the rotor (which turns, and has these magnets and awful prone-to-failure epoxy adhesive). Any help / advice/ sources for service-parts/ etc are greatly appreciated.

'79 KZ 1000 E1 ST Shaft
'77 KZ 750 Twin
'77 KZ 750 Twin
'77 KZ 400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2013 20:18 #580584 by steell
Take the left engine cover off and look at it, it's just like the 750 twin in that regard.
No case splitting required.

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikoarts

More
04 Apr 2013 22:49 #580613 by Bizzy
Yup. Your rotor will be on the engine, stator in the casing. Check em over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikoarts

More
04 Apr 2013 23:35 #580621 by mikoarts
Replied by mikoarts on topic May need to replace stator rotor - Oil Debri
I don't want to pull off the cover until I have replacement gaskets.

Several motorcyclist / machine-experienced friends have suggested that this material, being much softer than plastic, may actually not be doing any harm to the engine, even though it's a scary idea to have anything other than oil floating around in it.

So far, I don't think I need to pull off the stator cover just yet, because, the stuff was in the oil, packed inside the drain plug.

Looking around online, I'm finding nothing about this and KZ's or specifically, KZ1000 st 's like mine, which is leading me to wonder how critical of a problem this is. I would think that if another person experienced it, it has happened to a lot of bikes, and people would say things like, 'Oh sh#t! You just got an ST? Change that rotor NOW!' - But I'm not finding any such posts.

That leaves us back at the two questions, how bad can this turn out to be, and where would I begin finding a replacement rotor should the magnets be loosening themselves from their hub? (And any other Q's that come to mind)

'79 KZ 1000 E1 ST Shaft
'77 KZ 750 Twin
'77 KZ 750 Twin
'77 KZ 400

More
05 Apr 2013 00:32 - 05 Apr 2013 00:51 #580632 by steell
Well, if the magnets get loose, extensive damage is likely, so I guess it all depends on how lucky you are. Posted a wanted ad in the classifieds here, and keep an eye on eBay.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 05 Apr 2013 00:51 by steell.