using 1428 cases for 1075 kz 1000 cylinder

More
02 Apr 2013 11:22 #580167 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic using 1428 cases for 1075 kz 1000 cylinder
You won't get any leaks if it's built properly.
Grease both sides of the base gasket to seal it and guard against the wick effect.
Dry block it and use external cam feeds to be 100% leak proof with the turbo.
Dry blocking is mainly to reduce oil weepage when using COPPER head gaskets and to supply a cooler oil supply to the cams rather than the preheated piss you get from running it up the outer studs.
A secondary reason for the dry block/external feed is to avoid any restriction when using HD studs as their larger diameter reduces the effective oil gallery area of the block.
If using HD studs and not dry blocking then bore the rear corner block holes through to 12mm.
On the std blocks the casting narrows/tapers towards the center from each end and fitting HD studs can almost close off the oil feed and cause serious oil feed restrictions to the cams.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2013 17:42 #580237 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic using 1428 cases for 1075 kz 1000 cylinder

turboking wrote:

Powerstroke_fan wrote: Well i was under the impression that when you bored it out that big that it would most likely leak. Aint that why people talk about dry blocking? But atleast i feel better cuz i was kinda worried that when i start my fresh 1327 up this week, it would leak. I used three bond on the base gasket so hopefully it wont leak.

The term "dry blocking" is usually for water cooled engines used at the drag strip.....
keep us posted as to any leaks on start up...... :blink:

Well around here dry blocking is where you block the oil galleys in the block and head I.E. "dry block".

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
02 Apr 2013 17:48 #580240 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic using 1428 cases for 1075 kz 1000 cylinder
They use the same name for car engines and bike engines but it is accomplished in different ways. On KZ engines anyway, they plug the oil feed on top of the engine cases that feed oil up two outside case studs that feed oil to head. Thats why they use the lines off back of engine or from side gallery feed. Bypass the cylinder block altogether. Big-blocks will generally leak around the head gasket beings they don't use the center o-ring. There is also a few tricks some use to seal off the area I'm told. Big-blocks are notorious for leaking between head and cylinder. There was a topic on this very issue way back when that explained this and some of the things done.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
02 Apr 2013 17:58 #580245 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic using 1428 cases for 1075 kz 1000 cylinder

turboking wrote: hhmmmmmmmm :S I will wait for more input :huh: maybe three bond , I've used gasgacinch for years.
I have seen big cases used with stock cylinders before....just saying they seemed to weep oil. maybe they were sealed bad , I'm not sure. :unsure:

99.9% of oil leak prevention is common sense when putting the thing together. YOU KNOW THAT ;)

Larry C.