Power Issue while turning... (?)

• Limitlesstruth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Apr 2013 15:10 #579967 by Limitlesstruth
Power Issue while turning... (?) was created by Limitlesstruth
I'm not sure this is an engine issue but I feel it maybe. I was sitting waiting to turn into my neighborhood and after cars pass I ease off the clutch onto the throttle as normal and then engine nearly died. I had the throttle nearly pulled completely back before I realized nothing was happening and then pulled the clutch back in and then all the sudden that returned all my power and gave me the ability to finish the "turn" and make it home. However completing the turn it was pretty much the bike going straight. I haven't test it much since but I'm curious as to what could cause an issue like that.

1979 KZ1000 ltd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2013 15:45 #579971 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Power Issue while turning... (?)
Possible broken wire inside the main harness, or one that's going to break. Most wire bundles have repetitive action failures, as the wires are metal, and can only take so much flexing/bending before they start to fail. Before tearing into the wiring, check your throttle cables for correct routing and tightness, also look at the fuel level in the float bowls, as too low amount of gas can affect this too.

I'd open up the handlebar switch pods, looking for failed or failing solder joints, as the older bikes are starting to show this problem. Look inside the headlight housing for wires under stress(too tight), as this can cause problems.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Apr 2013 22:24 - 01 Apr 2013 22:24 #580055 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Power Issue while turning... (?)
What bike are you talking about. It could be a bad clutch switch.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2013 22:24 by baldy110.

More
01 Apr 2013 23:15 #580075 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Power Issue while turning... (?)
The clutch switch should really only affect electric start.

It's more likely a harness issue or ignition switch. The place I find most harness breaks is in the area from the front of the frame to the headlight.

While you have the bike on the centerstand, play with the harness near the left/front area just behind the headlight to just under the tank.

• Limitlesstruth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jun 2013 16:38 #593617 by Limitlesstruth
Replied by Limitlesstruth on topic Power Issue while turning... (?)
My apologies for not commenting back in 2 months, everything seems to be working itself out piece by piece.

This bike was in such bad shape it's costing me quite a bit of money and energy to fix it, but it is all worth it. I needed a new fuel filter, this was at least one of my small issues I came across in more recent history.

Thanks for the replies and all!

1979 KZ1000 ltd.