J Head with new cam caps - good idea?

• bluezbike
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Mar 2013 01:06 #579559 by bluezbike
J Head with new cam caps - good idea? was created by bluezbike
Picked up a J head with no cam caps for $10 originally to get the valves and shims. I would like to salvage and use the head if possible. Now I know that heads should have their specific set of caps as they are line bored but is there any chance of finding other caps that fit? I have been looking through a few spare caps and I have found four that fit pretty well numbers are not matching and two fit with the arrow in a reverse direction (which also reverses the direction of the slot in the steel bearing)

My question is this...how tight a tolerance in fit should there be and .....does it matter if the arrow on top of the cap is reversed? When I was testing the caps I rejected any that didn't slot easily right onto the two steel locating pins and then any that exhibited even a tiny ridge that my fingernail hung up on (checked all four inside edges)

Many thanks :)

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2013 08:39 #579565 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic J Head with new cam caps - good idea?
You could probably find some that work if you had a bunch of extras laying around. I would check them with plastiguage. As far as them being backwards on the arrows. I dont know if that would be a problem or not. The only thing that i could think might cause a problem would be because of the tangs that hold the bearings in. I dont think they would rub the cam, but didnt know it could make them slide or pop out?

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.