I can't get it started

More
29 Mar 2013 19:14 #579505 by motomensch
I can't get it started was created by motomensch
I just finished replacing a blown head gasket and picking out stuff that fell down the timing chain into the oil pan. Got the cams back in and timed correctly, new rubber bumpers in the cam chain tensioner and replaced all the gaskets I had to remove. Got everything on and torqued to spec, put the tank on, put in some 20w50, dumped in a couple of gallons of gas and turned the key. The starter motor spun and spun, I had a spark at #1 cylinder and the end of the crankshaft by the timing mark was rotating. Any idea what might be causing it not to start? Before replacing the gasket, it always started without any problems. I could use useful suggestions. thanks

I didn't see where I was when I first posted this in the wrong (chassis) forum

When you stop laughing, the joke's on you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Mar 2013 20:48 #579513 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic I can't get it started
compression/fuel/timing/sparks????

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
The following user(s) said Thank You: motomensch

More
31 Mar 2013 16:37 #579824 by motomensch
Replied by motomensch on topic I can't get it started
It seems that there is no compression (0 on dial) on 1 & 2 cylinders, I didn't squeeze between hack and bike to check 3 & 4 but imagine they are the same. I had replaced the head gasket, torqued heads to spec, replaced cams and set to the specs, arrows lining up and 28 links to the mark on intake side. Buttoned up the cam cover, replaced old with new plugs and nothing but cranking and turning over. What could I have screwed up to get a zero compression reading?? I do have spark, fuel, etc.

When you stop laughing, the joke's on you!

More
31 Mar 2013 17:18 #579828 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic I can't get it started
Not to pick on you but it has been my experience that if something ran before I tore into it then will not start after then it is something I did during assembly. Check everything again including valve clearances, cam timing, ignition wiring, anything that you touched during the repair.

More
01 Apr 2013 01:22 #579881 by recez
Replied by recez on topic I can't get it started

motomensch wrote: It seems that there is no compression (0 on dial) on 1 & 2 cylinders, I didn't squeeze between hack and bike to check 3 & 4 but imagine they are the same. I had replaced the head gasket, torqued heads to spec, replaced cams and set to the specs, arrows lining up and 28 links to the mark on intake side. Buttoned up the cam cover, replaced old with new plugs and nothing but cranking and turning over. What could I have screwed up to get a zero compression reading?? I do have spark, fuel, etc.

hey Moto,
I'm in the same exact boat as you... only difference is that mine didn't start even before I tore it apart. I had/have zero compression on both cylinders. I took the top end apart replaced piston rings, cleaned and reseated valves (had a mechanic reassemble the head and make sure valves didn't leak), replaced all gaskets, and made sure I followed torque specs and that the cam and chain were timed correctly (as manual specified). I got it back together today thinking "this thing is going to crank finally". Of course it didn't and as a matter of fact didn't really sound any different from when i tried prior to doing all this work. I was so tempted to start kicking the motorcycle and roll it out into the street and leave it for dead. I calmed down...BTW, it's a 74kz400, I can almost guarantee I still have Zero compression and will have to take the top end apart again to see where I F&^ked up. this is the most depressing experience I've had...I'm turning this bike that's probably worth 400 bucks into a $2000.00 pile of crap. Yes I paid more than 400 to begin with and I've put a lot more into since and it's not any closer to running. Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm on the verge of insanity and wanted to chime in as I hope you figure out what has gone wrong for you and maybe something similar has happened to me. Going to get a compression test tomorrow (more money!!!!).

why didn't i buy a bike that ran!
matt

74 kz400 D cafe