The Snuffernaut

More
24 Mar 2013 05:10 - 24 Mar 2013 05:19 #578474 by staniel
The Snuffernaut was created by staniel
Background. I have a KZ750 L3 with a 4" Kerker megaphone exhaust. If you check my history you'll see a lot of whining about how I can't find a baffle since it blew out in Oregon.

Well, I made something. I call it the Snuffernaut for reasons that will be obvious to a few of you.

Attachment ScreenShot2013-03-24at12.54.45AM.png not found

Attachment P1000566.jpg not found

The main washer is on a threaded rod running into the hole in the exhaust. It's spaced out with a bunch of washers because I didn't know how long to make it. The second washer is welded perpendicular to another rod which runs into the main washer, which is threaded at the top hole.

This makes it so that the second washer can be adjusted to get out of the way of the main through hole, letting more volume through unrestricted. This washer is locked in position by the wingnut, which serves as a jam nut. The first washer is adjustable according to the design of the Snuff-Or-Not. The piggy-backed smaller washer will of course run at an odd angle when I do this, but I don't plan on ever doing this.

I also made a vortex cone, which is behind both of the washers and not visible in the picture. It's a simple cone of stainless steel with large holes in it (30% material, 70% holes, I would say). I made it because I saw a picture of something like it on the internet and I was desperate, so I cut and bent and welded it up. I'm not convinced that it does anything except keep mice out of my engine. This is what the bent steel bracket is at the bottom.

My goal was maximum volume reduction with minimum fabrication. It's still loud as hell, but doesn't ruin eardrums on the loud pops. The sound is extremely throaty - rich, loud (unfortunately) and deep. A lot deeper pitch than the original baffle made. If I could knock down another 20 decibels I would be happy. Maybe I'll try stuffing some fiberglass in behind the cone.

All of my low end torque is back. I think I'll have to move my carb needles back down before I stink up my spark plugs, and maybe my mileage will climb back up.

I couldn't think of a better place to post my results than here. I thought maybe some of you would be interested.

I'll probably keep thinking of better ways to do it. On spare days maybe I'll realize them, too.

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Mar 2013 05:19 by staniel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.