Valve Shims Nightmare

More
23 Mar 2013 19:23 #578369 by SuperMoto
Valve Shims Nightmare was created by SuperMoto
So I have a 1979 KZ750-B4 Twin. I have been piecing the motor together very slowly. Im now down to the final stretch as far as motor rebuild and seem to have run into a issue/nightmare. The 750 twin uses the dreaded 32mm valve shim. I can't find any place that carrys these in stock. Z1-ENTERPRISES has only two available in the range of 2.20 to 3.00. I need a 2.55 and lower to cover these valves. So my questions would be as follows. Does anyone have any idea where I can find these things? Or...is it ok to machine them down? I've heard mixed reviews on people doing that. I also heard that maybe the older 1970's Fiat 124 motor also uses the 32mm shims. If anyone could give me some type of direction in this vebture it would greatly be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2013 19:39 #578373 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Valve Shims Nightmare

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/kzride5/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 314. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Mar 2013 19:47 #578375 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Valve Shims Nightmare
Did you do a valve job when you rebuilt the motor? :)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
23 Mar 2013 20:19 #578385 by SuperMoto
Replied by SuperMoto on topic Valve Shims Nightmare
I did. I recieved the bike in a trade. The motor didn't feel right at all to me and consistantly would throw 3ft fireballs on every kick. There was also oil leaking out of the left exhaust port. Ended up having a bent valve and blown out valve seal. Replaced all the seals and dropped in 2 new exhaust valves. I'll dig in the whole part number thing. Hopefully that site has some for me. Thanks Ed.

More
23 Mar 2013 21:19 #578398 by SuperMoto
Replied by SuperMoto on topic Valve Shims Nightmare
So I did some digging and found the part numbers for numerous valve shims that would work for my bike. Used the link you gave me to the NW Vintage Cycle. Found several options that might get me right on the money or close enough to work properly. I'm really surprised that the site you gave me never came up with all the searches I did for the valve shims. I'll get back and let you know how things turned out.

More
24 Mar 2013 00:49 #578453 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Valve Shims Nightmare
Glad I could help. I bought from that site before and was pleased. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)