Oil Pressure Light on, where to buy a switch?

• ShouterVW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Mar 2013 01:10 #577644 by ShouterVW
My 81 KZ650's oil pressure light randomly came on after one of its "tear downs", and has stayed on since. The oil looks good, no water in it or anything. But, the wiring at the switch/sensor is pretty iffy, and the switch itself seems fairly corroded. Once it warms up, I will throw a mechanical gauge on it just to be sure, but I am certain its the switch. Where can I find one? And, most importantly how the heck do I get it out? It is kind of down in the corner where its impossible to get a suitable socket on the thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2013 01:14 #577645 by MFolks
www.z1enterprises.com is where most old bike owners get new parts. They should be able to tell you if a special tool is needed to remove your oil switch.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Mar 2013 09:12 #577674 by 650ed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThe oil pressure indicator switch is located under the contact breaker cover. No special tool is needed to remove it, but you will need to remove the advancer to get the socket on it. It takes a 1-1/16" socket (or metric equivalent). When you install the new one the book calls for 9.5 - 12 ft lbs. torque. Here is a NOS one on eBay; there are others. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Mar 2013 14:01 #577695 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Oil Pressure Light on, where to buy a switch?
To check the wiring just take the end of the wire that plugs into the sending unit and ground that end on the engine. The oil light should go out. If it does then you know the wiring is good if it doesn't then you have a problem with the wiring.