76 KZ900 Vance/Hines Exhaust

More
10 Mar 2013 16:49 #576384 by Handcannon
76 KZ900 Vance/Hines Exhaust was created by Handcannon
Let me start out by saying that getting old is very bad when you have projects to start or finish. Now that that is said I have a new set of Vance and Hines four into one exhaust for my 76 kz900 a-4 that I got about ten years ago. Sometime between then and now I lost the instructions and hardware for them. These are a two piece setup and you would think it would be a simple matter to throw them on and bolt up. No chance of that from the looks of it. I took the old kerker setup off and got the front tubes on but from there I'm lost as to the hanger on the megaphone tube. Does no seem to line up with anything. Not sure if I am missing some type of strap or bolts. Thanks for any help. I can put pictures up if needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
10 Mar 2013 16:55 #576385 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 76 KZ900 Vance/Hines Exhaust
Youll probably need to make your own bracket B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
10 Mar 2013 18:05 #576393 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic 76 KZ900 Vance/Hines Exhaust
Wireman is right. These pipes usually take some kind of mounting bracket to mount to each particular year frame. Some are as simple as a strap from header to frame while others were a little bigger. You will need to mount the megaphone to see what you will need to mount and build one. Not that hard to do really...

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
15 Mar 2013 10:19 #577025 by Handcannon
Replied by Handcannon on topic 76 KZ900 Vance/Hines Exhaust
Well after talking v&h if you force the pipe up you can use the rear peg bolt to attach to the frame. Works good.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Mar 2013 11:08 - 15 Mar 2013 11:08 #577029 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 76 KZ900 Vance/Hines Exhaust
I wouldnt force a header too much,especially one with the name vance &hines on it! :sick:
That's a recipe for exhaust leaks at head,or broken studs from trying to tighten it up if its in a bind.
Not to mention if the motor/frame twist a little bit going down the road could cause stress cracks in the header over time if it has no give to it B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2013 11:08 by wireman.