Shafty Engine removal HELP!

More
07 Mar 2013 21:27 #575880 by nivlac
Shafty Engine removal HELP! was created by nivlac
I am in the process of pulling an engine out of an 84 zn1100 Shaft. I am almost there I've got a couple of mounts left to unbolt. I don't want to go any further until I know how to remove the shaft. Can any one help me out? My reluctance is simply due to ignorance on my part. I don't want to mess the shaft universal up.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Mar 2013 21:31 #575881 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Shafty Engine removal HELP!
Wish I could help,first/last/only time I ever pulled a motor out of a shaft drive bike it was a burned out shell of a bike ,So I put my old friend the Milwaukee recip saw to work and just cut the shaft behind frame tube to get motor out. :sick: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
07 Mar 2013 22:02 #575888 by kz10006
Replied by kz10006 on topic Shafty Engine removal HELP!
I dont know about the 84 but the 81-83 if you pull the rubber boot that covers the front of the shaft back by the back of the motor on the left side you will see the end of the shaft if you rotate it there will be one tiny pin hole for a very small punch or screw driver, there is a pin in there push the pin in with the screw driver or punch and then when you go to lift the motor out the shaft will be disconnected. Good luck with the project its ready easy to do after you have done it once

Brian
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
07 Mar 2013 22:07 #575890 by Roadflyer
Replied by Roadflyer on topic Shafty Engine removal HELP!
I took the back wheel and swingarm off before trying to take out the engine, it makes trying to find the little pin that you push to release a bit easier.

1979 kz1000 shaftie rebuild project
1045 wiseco 10.25-1 pistons
Kenny Harmon 380 lift cams
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
08 Mar 2013 00:55 #575925 by nivlac
Replied by nivlac on topic Shafty Engine removal HELP!
I appreciate the input guys. I'm swapping an 84 Shaftie into my 83 Shaftie while I do a rebuild on the 83. So by the time I get the project completed I'll be pretty well versed on drive train R&R.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650