problems with my clutch.

• ILoveNasacar
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2013 18:20 #575107 by ILoveNasacar
problems with my clutch. was created by ILoveNasacar
I'm having a really difficult time trying to have properly functioning clutch.
For some reason, I have really grabby plates that won't slip at all. I can't even move the bike with the clutch pulled in. The worst part is, this is happening on a set of new frictions with less than an hour of use.

I replaced the clutch a while back for the same problem that I am again having now.
so far, the steels looks fine, I probably should of replaced the springs, but didn't. I did replace the friction plates and cable, cleaned the pusher mechanism. Didn't loose the tiny little ball bearing. Even torqued everything back to spec.
It road and functioned fine for a while.
Then it started to grab again.
Maybe I have the slightest warped plate?
I just took them out and cleaned them, and replaced the oil with t6.
Maybe my springs aren't strong enough to fully grip my plates, so they're just slipping the whole time and burning the surface. I don't know. Any ideas?

1976 kz750 twin
1976 Ke175
1981 stroked w12 moon lander, autographed by Neil Armstrong, after he was revived by the church of Scientology last month.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2013 18:33 #575111 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic problems with my clutch.
I'd suspect warped steel plates. What replacement clutch did you go with? I've had barnetts get grabby and not release but it took a little time, not much, I was throwing some hard work at them.
If in fact it is warped steels, you shouldn't have to replace the fibers and used steels off e-bay can be had fairly cheap. Take the best of the bunch and make a full set.

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2013 23:20 #575170 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic problems with my clutch.
Springs are the first thing I would have replaced. These clutches are tough. Measure their height and compare in the FSM. The plates were probably within spec - did you measure them? Springs cost < $20. Plates are expensive.

More
04 Mar 2013 07:56 #575246 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic problems with my clutch.
Check clutch basket for scaring from the fibers, what happens sometimes is that little grooves get worn in it and they won't let the clutch fully engage or disengage and also to chatter.

Les

• ILoveNasacar
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Mar 2013 18:24 #575682 by ILoveNasacar
Replied by ILoveNasacar on topic problems with my clutch.
Thanks for the replies guys.
the landings of my basket are pretty smooth. No pitting or grooving.
I saw pictures of what warped plates look like. They'll have burnt markings on the surface where the plates wobble out of true. I didn't see any burn marks or anything. still, doesn't mean that they aren't though..

also, is a light Cross thatched pattern normal on the surface of the steels? there's a smooth side and then a semi-smooth side with light cross thatching. I figured it's designed like that for grip.
Smooth side face inward or out?
I NEED TO INVEST IN A MANUEL.

1976 kz750 twin
1976 Ke175
1981 stroked w12 moon lander, autographed by Neil Armstrong, after he was revived by the church of Scientology last month.