PC head kz900

More
23 Feb 2013 12:43 #573687 by shadow44
PC head kz900 was created by shadow44
what problems am I gonna have powder coating the head? Valve seats fall out? Warp? I am going to put old springs back in and leave the new valves in. remove the guide seals, and bake. what have I not thought of?

Remember, the government can not give you anything they have not first, taken from someone else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
23 Feb 2013 13:39 #573693 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic PC head kz900
Valve guides moving around would be more of a concern to me,I don't see the seats being a problem.
Cylinder heads generate a lot of heat from combustion chamber,powder coating it could cause over heating issues with motor is my biggest concern. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
23 Feb 2013 13:45 - 23 Feb 2013 13:46 #573695 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic PC head kz900

shadow44 wrote: what problems am I gonna have powder coating the head? Valve seats fall out? Warp? I am going to put old springs back in and leave the new valves in. remove the guide seals, and bake. what have I not thought of?

If not already done, before proceeding, would first inquire of a professional powder-coater as to whether the powder coat finish will stand up to heat generated by the engine head.

Bettin' my nickel on not being a good idea to powder-coat the head. :lol:
(But I lose lots of nickels.) :(

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 13:46 by Patton.

More
23 Feb 2013 14:12 #573700 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic PC head kz900
Powdercoating engines is common and the heat won't make it fall off.
Got a motor here that's coated all over.
Strip the head bare and mask off the areas not to be coated, don't leave in any valves etc.
The guides shouldn't move as the pc bakes at only 180 deg and you would have to take a drift to the guides to shift them.
As mentioned earlier heat dissapation problems is possible especially on air cooled motors and i personally don't like engines done which is why i'm stripping the pc off the one i have.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
23 Feb 2013 17:43 #573732 by shadow44
Replied by shadow44 on topic PC head kz900
180 deg? This stuff cures at 400 deg. :blink:

Remember, the government can not give you anything they have not first, taken from someone else.

More
23 Feb 2013 17:58 #573734 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic PC head kz900
Zed is in England so it may be that 180 is in Celcius and your 400 in Farenheit....good to check either way

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
23 Feb 2013 20:27 - 23 Feb 2013 20:29 #573748 by pig9r
Replied by pig9r on topic PC head kz900
A lot of pc Harley' motors and heads out there.

This place claims no heat issues.

figurefinishing.com/?page_id=1262

Q: I saw powder coated finned (air-cooled) motorcycle cylinders and heads in your portfolio. Does powder coating affect cooling? A: No. Powder coating is a poor thermal insulator, so the engine temperature is not affected. If you have an oil temperature gauge, you won’t see the needle move. If it runs at 205*F in traffic on a hot day prior to coating, it’ll run at the same temp after coating. I’ve even seen an HD rider claim his black powder coated engine runs 4*F cooler than it did bare. I would probably attribute that number to either variation error in measuring temperature or to slightly different external conditions, since I doubt this was a controlled test. Also, most engines – air-cooled or liquid – are powder coated from the factory, including Harley Davidson motors, which are powder coated to look like a rough aluminum casting (i.e. like they weren’t coated at all). The color is called “Harley Davidson Bead Blast,” which we stock along with the similar but darker “HD Warlock Grey.”

Q: How does powder coating hold up on finned (air-cooled) motorcycle cylinders and heads? Can it handle the heat? A: Powder holds up great on motors. Most powders are baked at 400*F, and most engines shut down at 250*F, Harley Davidsons included. Also, powder technology has been progressing aggressively, and most powders have an excellent overbake stability, easily exceeding 450*F operating temperatures without failure.

Last edit: 23 Feb 2013 20:29 by pig9r.

• wireman
  • User
More
23 Feb 2013 21:05 #573762 by wireman
I don't know if that's really a fair comparison considering the the Harley heads are separate with exposure to 360 degrees of cooling for the most part,where as the kz cylinders are siamesed with no real source of cooling between individual cylinders B)
Maybe off topic,but what the hell aint aroun d here right?
Anyway I remember being told in my much younger years by somebody much smarter than that gm did some sort of test in 60s/70s comparing heat dissipation with various colors of engine paint.
According to my source back them gm discovered the dull black worked best for heat dissipation,thats why the gm high performance crate motors you buy through the dealers were and still are painted black from the factory. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
23 Feb 2013 21:07 #573763 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic PC head kz900

bluezbike wrote: Zed is in England so it may be that 180 is in Celcius and your 400 in Farenheit....good to check either way

Yes! 180 deg C. :)

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
24 Feb 2013 11:06 #573864 by shadow44
Thanks for the input folks, I appreciate all of it. This bike is special to me, not just for what it is, but the whole history behind it. I am getting ready to head to the garage, and powder coat this head. given all the input from everyone I think PC is the way to go. This is not a race bike, so heat should not be too much of an issue. So wish me luck, I will try to post some pics tonight of the finished product.

More
24 Feb 2013 20:29 #573936 by shadow44
here we are! now back to the machine shop as soon as my new guide seals get here. :whistle:

Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
More
24 Feb 2013 20:32 #573939 by wireman
[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\quag.jpg[/attachment]
B) B) B) B) B)