Valve shims!

More
22 Feb 2013 04:26 #573547 by Nero Morg
Valve shims! was created by Nero Morg
Okay, so I'm new to the forums, but I can't seem to find an answer to this predicament I have found myself in. I recently purchased a 1983 KZ750 four shaft driven. Guy said he couldn't get it to run after it "started to sputter, and decided to clean the carbs." The carbs are the keihin cv34 which I cleaned in carb dip, after finding out that three of the boots were put in 45 degrees off so they didn't sit correctly... Fixed that, got it to run. Poorly. Hard to start, wouldn't idle, but warmed up and shifted gears well. Shut it off, next day I did a compression test. Frightening news. 1-4 90psi, 90, 30, 70. Put in a teaspoon of oil and did another test, jumped up to 120, 120, 50, 90. The book said to keep cranking, if the pressure steadily goes up, the cylinders need a rebuild. Well lucky me I didn't need a complete rebuild. Bad news, I tried to get a feeler gauge between the cam and the lifter, only to find out the reason why the engine has such poor compression is because the Prior owner installed shims that were TOO BIG. Knowing this, how do I get the proper shims in there? The smallest feeler gauge I have is 0.05mm and it wouldn't fit no matter what, the smallest the book says it could be is 0.08mm. Guess the valves aren't closing all the way, wouldn't you say? Should I buy shims that are half the size and then work my way up to the correct size?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2013 05:06 - 22 Feb 2013 05:16 #573548 by yeekim
Replied by yeekim on topic Valve shims!
HI!

I hope that You have the service manual-specified clearence should be 0,08-0,18
The smallest gap what the book says is 0,00-0,03-that means basicly no gap at all!
Than find out what shim to You presently have and You'll find out, what needed.
I think, thay You should work Your way DOWN( You don't know, how open the valve currently is)!

cheers

Ex nihilo nihil fit!
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 05:16 by yeekim.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Feb 2013 10:06 #573558 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Valve shims!
Hopefully you have the correct service manual for your bike, the Kawasaki Factory Manual is best.
So with little to No clearance, can you spin the Bucket when the lobe is pointing away? If you can spin it, but can't get the small feeler in there, I'd go down 2 shim sizes. Z1 will have the shims, and a valve cover gasket etc. www.z1enterprises.com/ShopByCategory.asp...&category=0101010304
You need to pull the cams, as the shims are under the bucket on top of the valve spring retainer.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
22 Feb 2013 23:42 #573642 by Nero Morg
Replied by Nero Morg on topic Valve shims!
Couldn't spin by hand whatsoever, I pulled the camshaft on the intake side off, and I could physically see the lifters rise up even more as it was removed. I'm going to buy smaller shims, so I can properly measure them.